Airport Concession Contracts Approved by Transportation Committee: Full Council Vote in Jan.

Discussion in 'ATL | Atlanta Hartsfield International Airport' started by mowogo, Dec 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    So last night, the Transportation Committee of the Atlanta City Council approved the staff recommendations for the concession proposals for the airport. Below is a list of outlets in the approved packages:
    Food and beverage: Ruby Tuesday, P.F. Chang's, Pappadeaux Seafood, Pinkberry, McDonald's, Qdoba, Varasano's Pizzeria, Chick‐fil‐A, TWIST, Willy’s, Popeyes, Yogurbella, Dunkin' Donuts, Paschals, T.G.I. Friday's, Fresh to Order, Little Azio, Lavazza Coffee, Carrabba's, The Varsity, Five Guys Burgers and Fries, LongHorn, La Madeleine, The Real Chow Baby, Baja Fresh, French Meadow Bakery, The Pecan, Rolling Bones BBQ, Chipotle, Ruby's Diner, Einstein Bros. Bagels, Popeyes, Bojangles', Corner Bakery Café, Fatburger, Georgia Grown, Argo Tea Café, Shane's Rib Shack, Atlanta Chophouse, Coffee Beanery, Starbucks, Chicken N Beer, Atlanta Braves All-Star Grill, Goldberg's Bagel Co., Michon's Smokehouse, Jekyll Island Seafood Co., Asian Chao, Gold Coast Dogs, Jersey Mike’s Subs, Wienerz Grill.
    Retail: Wall Street Journal, Johnston & Murphy, Magellan's, Tommy Hilfiger, Kiehl's, Luxury Boutique, Simply Books, Clutch, CNN, TouchTable, Sunglass Icon, CNBC News, New York Times Bookstore, Goldberg's Deli, Spanx, Pandora, Brooks Brothers, Swarovski, Shades of Time, Soundbalance, Sweet Auburn Market, Brookstone, The Body Shop.

Full City Council will vote to approve these contracts in January in hops of opening up in March/April.

flyingdawg likes this.
  2. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are these just for the new international terminal?

3. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, some of these will be in existing spaces.

flyingdawg likes this.
  4. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Chicken N Beer, how can you go wrong?

I remember my first trip through ATL, the Wendy's had no nuggets :(

flyingdawg likes this.
  5. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are even the "local-ish" places merely licensed outlets run by HMS Host or another major airport vendor? Some of these large airports should grow some and do what SFO does - most of the places are home grown vendors with airport outposts - it is administratively more complex (i.e., probably a couple dozen individual contracts instead of one) but it sure makes life more interesting, and tastier, too.

harvson3 and flyingdawg like this.
  6. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, most of the local places appear to be partnerships. Though for The Varsity, if HMS messes it up, people will know quickly and try to run them out of town.

flyingdawg likes this.
  7. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    And the contracts have been approved. Now you can just connect in Atlanta and get your Varsity fix.

flyingdawg likes this.
  8. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a Tech grad, I've eaten at the Varsity more times than I can count and have amazingly never had any issues, but based on friends' and family members' experiences, I have to hope that I am NEVER on a flight with someone who just had the Varsity for the first time while they're on a layover at ATL.
    I really hope that the new local offerings--and others--can live up to their non-airport brands. I am hopeful for Willy's in particular.

9. JennB
    Original Member

JennB Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mmmm more fro yo and BBQ, sounds good to me!

I don't really eat at ATL too often but when I have a delay, I always have a terrible time finding food. So many of the choices are just downright bad. It usually goes something like this.... look around for a second, find nothing I want, board train, concourse A, chik-fil a

flyingdawg likes this.
  10. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I usually eat at Concourse A as well, with the Chik-fil-a and Krystal, though will sometimes hit up the Arthur Treacher's on T (mainly for old memories of my youth)

flyingdawg likes this.
  11. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Chicken N Beer joint will be owned by Christopher Brian Bridges aka Ludacris.

12. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    And the concession list for the international terminal has been released

autolycus likes this.
  13. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Has it ever been released who is actually operating each of these concessions? I'm not as knowledgeable as others here, but havent' I seen references to one particular vendor operating a number of the locations on behalf of the named place/franchisor and that their service and quality were not generally up to the usual franchise standards. Are any of the new places going to be operated directly by the owner or will they also be handled by a third party vendor? Thanks!

14. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    To get that information, you would probably have to file an Open Records request with the city of Atlanta.