Airport Captured Geese, "like a lean beef covered in a layer of good-tasting fat"

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by SC Flier, Jun 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    USAToday: NYC to send airport geese to food banks for the poor

New York City plans to round-up geese that could threaten planes at its airports and ship them to Pennsylvania to be cooked and made into meals for the poor, The New York Times reports.​
    ...​
    As for those curious about the type of meals the cooked geese will provide, Virginia-based author and "locavore activist" says the geese can be prepared in an appealing manner.​

"It's like a lean beef covered in a layer of good-tasting fat,," Landers tells the Post.​

Sounds better than many meals that I've had during flights.

mht_flyer and gobluetwo like this.
  2. Grace
    Original Member

Grace Silver Member

Status Points:
    but that will cut down on the level of goose crap I have to dodge while walking through parks

mht_flyer and SC Flier like this.
  3. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've always thought the same about the huge numbers of non-migratory canada geese in northern illinois. Seems to be a readily-available and relatively easy food source. Ditto when you have to cull herds of deer. How about some goose and venison for the food shelters?

Gargoyle, sunseeker and mht_flyer like this.
  4. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Goose is delicious. Wouldn't be more effecient however just to sell the geese on the market and use the money for charities to feed the homeless? It seems like a longer than necessary supply chain- and probably better particularly in the critical cases of homeless people to make sure a nutrionist is involved in doing whatever possible to help improve the health levels of people in dangerous predicaments.

Chimpy likes this.
  5. Grace
    Original Member

Grace Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not a hunter so I don't know the ins and outs of this, but I recall hearing that in Missouri if you hit a deer with your car you could take it to the meat processor and they'd donate the meat to charity (since you didn't have a deer tag for the deer). I don't know how many people were equipped to do that though. There's no way I'd stick a deer on my TT.

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  6. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    You mean it won't fit in the "trunk" of the TT:)?

7. Grace
    Original Member

Grace Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think any deer I'd hit would weigh more than my TT and therefore I wouldn't be able to drive afterward anyway.

8. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like a nice plan and good use of a animal otherwise considered a nuisance. Never had goose, have eaten duck many many times but not goose.

9. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's a sad day to be a Goose.

[​IMG]

jmrich1432 and Gargoyle like this.
  10. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've never had goose, but are you referring to farm-raised or wild goose? I'd wonder what the office park/golf course grass-fed canada geese would taste like. I hear different species have different flavors, like snow geese or... (ok, that's the only other kind of goose i can think of, besides goosey loosey).

11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was always said that when a car would hit and kill a deer on Pennsylvania highways, especially the turnpike, the state police would remove it and the meat would be used to feed prisoners. I don't know whether this is an urban legend.

Exiled in Express and Chimpy like this.
  12. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a native Pennsylvanian this makes way too much sense to me. Combined my parents are in the double digits for deer/car collisions, it has never made it to the kitchen.

"If you see a road-killed bear, you can't pick it up and take it with you," said Mr. Feaser. "But you can call the regional game commission office and make an offer to purchase it, and arrangements will be made."

The Holy Grail of road kill carcasses, however, is the whitetail deer. It's the only animal you can easily and legally wrap up and take home to Mama.

PIT Post-Gazette

jmrich1432 likes this.