Airport body scanners pass company's radiation tests

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by sobore, May 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...l-body-scanners-pass-radiation-tests/2130529/

Controversial full-body X-ray scanners at U.S. airports underwent more than 700 inspections last year with all tests showing radiation levels below standards used by their manufacturer and the Transportation Security Administration, according to a USA TODAY review of the recently released reports.

While the TSA and scanner-maker Rapiscan Systems say the reports offer additional proof of safety, some critics remain unconvinced. Regardless, the TSA is in the final phases of removing the last of Rapiscan's backscatter scanners from airport checkpoints by June. Full-body scanners using a different technology that does not involve ionizing radiation, called millimeter wave, will remain in use to screen passengers.

"We're very pleased with the results of the latest batch of inspection reports," said Peter Kant, Rapiscan's executive vice president. "It's yet another set of test results that show the systems are operating exactly as we said they would, that they are well below safety limits."

Read More: http://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...l-body-scanners-pass-radiation-tests/2130529/

USAF_Pride and uggboy like this.
  2. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Radiation is cumulative

These are the perfect people to be setting the standards for my health!! Not!

goalie likes this.
  3. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    The "G" could tell me that there was zero radiation emission and every scientist in the world could say that the body scanners are safe and I still wouldn't go thru one

4. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    The same joke about knowing when a lawyer is lying can be used about the TSA.

5. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I stand on my original position still...even if the radition level is miniscule....0 > miniscule.