Airplanes’ space wars are shifting to the human rights front

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Newscience, Sep 21, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Airplanes’ space wars are shifting to the human rights front

The Washington Post
    Christopher Elliott
    September 17, 2015

"Do you have the right to room on a plane?

If you answered “no,” you’re probably with the majority of American travelers. After all, airlines are private companies, and you always have the option of paying more for an upgraded seat, don’t you?

But recent efforts by consumer advocates are turning the conventional wisdom about space on its head. Taken together, their initiatives have started an important debate about whether air travelers have a basic right to room on a plane, no matter where they sit. If these consumer groups win, it could trigger a tectonic shift that might improve air travel for everyone..."

In his article, Christopher Elliott (a consumer advocate, journalist and co-founder of the group Travelers United) describes the unpleasant experience of modern air travel due to seat space shrinkage. He poses the question: "Could we also have a basic right to space on an aircraft"? His answer may surprise some.

Read the article here:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...4999f4-5bce-11e5-8e9e-dce8a2a2a679_story.html

2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    andyroo31, anileze, vickers and 2 others like this.
  3. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am as unhappy as the next person at the limited space I receive on an airplane, but some of the statements used to back up the arguments in this article seem to not have any merit or are flat out untrue. I say let the market settle this one. If the government gets involved and starts mandating space requirements, prices will rise.

Although I really hope that reclining seats go away......... ;)

Dublin_rfk, anileze and Newscience like this.
  4. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    IF? After the actions of this administration I think more like when.

vickers and Newscience like this.
  5. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was trying to be more politically correct drunken teddy bear. ;)

But yes, I agree.

Dublin_rfk likes this.