Airplane power port adapters

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by bonnerbl, Jul 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Was on two UA757s this weekend. Had loaded up the laptop with movies and tv shows for the 10 hour trip only to find that the power port on the seat required a special adapter. It looked like a cigaratte lighter outlet but smaller. The FA told me they used to sell the adapters on international flights but had nothing on a domestic flight. On the layover checked the airport electronic stores - no one had a clue what it could be. The RCC attendant didn't know what it might be I was asking for but kindly called someone and they told her and she was able to find it by googling for it. But noone in the RCC had one. When I got back home went to Best Buy - no dice. Went to Radio Shack - never heard of such a thing. VERY disappointed at not having power on the flights. Even more that it appears to be an obsolete/unknown type of connector. What do MPrs recommend?

sobore and SC Flier like this.
  2. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    sounds like an EmPower port. I have this power converter which I got through work. Nice that it has a cigarette lighter adapter for use in the car, as well as the empower adapter. It is pricey and tends to run hot, but worked in both my car on a 350 mile roundtrip + multiple TATLs on UA 777s.
    http://www.codidirect.com/mobile-accessories/power/80wattauto-airpowerinverter.html

There are also empower plugs which fit over cig lighter adapters, if you already have one of those, like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Targus-APC02USZ-Empower-Adapter/dp/B003VAI012

SC Flier likes this.
  3. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the links. Found what I wanted on Amazon.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Before you get too excited and shell out money, consider that

- the new configuration UA int'l aircraft are now using regular 110v power ports
    - the empower ports on many domestic UA aircraft are disabled/capped.

5. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    How can I tell before hand what the situation is? Bummer to plan on several hours of uninterrupted work only to find you can't use the power port. (and yes I know all about extra batteries).

6. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    At least you're not flying on AA where I find you never really know what you'll get on some equipment and then half the time, the power ports are disabled.

7. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    For UA, unless it is a 2 cabin 67, 2 cabin 777 and the old config 3 cabin 777 where em-power is installed and working 99% of the time, you can't :(

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Completely unpredictable. My preference would be a laptop with decent battery life... And of course making sure it's fully charged when getting to the gate. And for movies I much prefer an iPad. Long battery life and much more compact.