Airplane Passenger Etiquette: Where Did It Go?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Oct 22, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://suffield.patch.com/articles/airplane-passenger-etiquette-where-did-it-go-4c2a93a5

Put headphones if necessary, alternate when exiting an aircraft, be kind to the flight crew, leave your ego at the gate, keep your voice down and limit the size of your carry on bag ... and most importantly, leave the tuna at home.

Last week, while returning home to Connecticut from a Florida wedding, I waited in the terminal before my flight. People watching in any airport is entertaining. Business travelers routinely hopscotch pass families with strollers and children dragging cartoon-character baggage while electronic carts loudly beep transporting passengers requiring extra assistance.

While I sat, I couldn’t help but notice a grown man playing solitaire on an electronic device with maximum volume. This type of behavior is expected from a child with preoccupied and hearing-impaired parents, but watching an adult who was completely ignorant of those sitting in direct view was alarming. What’s the matter with people?

If you’ve never heard the sound effects of solitaire, it resembles a loud shuffling whisper, borderline creepy, most definitely annoying to the most tolerable of ears. You can’t couldn’t ignore it if you tried.

Read More: http://suffield.patch.com/articles/airplane-passenger-etiquette-where-did-it-go-4c2a93a5

KenInEscazu, 8MiHi, Kalboz and 4 others like this.
  2. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why should air travel be different from everyday life? Common courtesy is mostly non-existent!

8MiHi, LETTERBOY, HiIslands and 4 others like this.
  3. iterfacio12

iterfacio12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I fear that it's mildly unreasonable to expect that people would be polite, have consideration for those around them, and display proper etiquette in airports or on aircraft when they don't do that in any other locations.

ella, 8MiHi, Kalboz and 3 others like this.
  4. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I still have a major phobia of the people who put up their bare feet (because they have kicked off their sandals- in October) on the bulkhead wall. This is really disgusting. I have noticed the following commonalities/generalities:
    1) All Men
    2) All appear to be between the ages of 20 and 40
    3) All speak English very loudly- typically with an accent from the United States I do believe (seems to be)
    4) Often in shorts
    5) Seem to have broken I-phones as they have to speak into them very loudly- usually starting the conversation with "I am in Europe...."
    All I can say is .... Wow.

8MiHi, Kalboz, HiIslands and 2 others like this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    For the most part I find airline passengers are usually more polite than the general populace in the same areas. I see FC uber-elites giving way to stroller-laden and elderly kettles on almost every flight. I even see people in C giving precedence to another passenger when the favored meal choice is already gone. I see healthy young people stowing bags for decrepit ones.

Not that I do not see bad behavior; I do; but I see more good behavior than bad.

YULtide, 8MiHi, Kalboz and 7 others like this.
  6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Notwithstanding my post just above I agree 100%. I recall a major TV celebrity anchor above your age range who did all that, plus dropping newspaper pages and magazines on the floor beside him as he finished them. A passenger had the temerity to ask him to stop, he glared at the lady and threw a magazine on the floor in front of her. I have not watched him since. I'll not mention his name just in case he's reformed, but his pay package is reported to be about $8 million per year. I hope I do not see him again. However, this is a rare situation.

Some years ago Gregory Peck was in FC with my spouse and myself. He got up to help another passenger stow her luggage. He was a delight!

YULtide, 8MiHi, Kalboz and 3 others like this.
  7. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:

I have seen one teenage girl put her feet (with socks) put her feet up on the bulkhead. When I mean up, her feet were about 4 ft up! :eek:

Gentleman sitting next to me on a flight earlier this week was wearing socks but had his feet on BH seat high. Problem was - he had stinky feet. A couple of glances and scrunched nose and he lowered them! :D

YULtide, 8MiHi, TRAVELSIG and 4 others like this.
  8. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    RD: 3) I have been wondering if #3 is related to #5. It seems that the younger crowd have a tendency to talk louder because of the constant use of earbuds. I have noticed certain people that seem to always be "plugged in" also have a tendency to speak louder. Sort of like they are trying to carry on a conversation while they are listening to their music rather than be polite and disconnect the music. And they seem to do it when unplugged too.

9. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    A physician friend of mine who specialized in ear issues (not E E N T, just ears) says the constant loud music and urban noise are causing deafness in young people far more than it did with their elders who listened to deafening rock music in the 1960's and 70's. He claims the constant noise is new, and that young people talk more loudly because they cannot hear.

10. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    And how did you know the person wasn't hearing impaired and unaware of the volume? My cell phone has a very loud ring (to others) and that with the vibration makes sure I know there is a call. To those who suggest that perhaps it would be better to just use the vibration then I would say -- doesn't work unless the phone is in your pocket. What's the problem with hearing people? Don't they get it? (paraphrase for humor purposes).

11. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    yeah. Justin Bieber kills the ears!

Kalboz, marcwint55, misman and 2 others like this.
  12. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    As well as every other part of your body. Can't freaking stand him.

Kalboz, marcwint55, misman and 2 others like this.
  13. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    It could be a new (friend of Bieber) song: "Hey I just met you, and this is crazy, and I can't hear you- so call me (maybe)"....

jbcarioca and Kalboz like this.
  14. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Until he finally becomes old enough to shave I refuse to recognize his name, whoever he is or however noisy he can become. I prefer quiet, refined, relaxing music such as The Doors and Led Zeppelin.

YULtide and TRAVELSIG like this.
  15. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Music with thoughtful lyrics and interesting composition?
    No... who would ever care for that ;)?

jbcarioca and LETTERBOY like this.
  16. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Megan was once on a flight where she kept turning up the volume because she couldn't hear it. It turns out that the earbuds weren't plugged in, so everyone was staring at her. Sometimes it's best just to lean over and point out the problem rather than let it go on and on. Most people try to cooperate.

jbcarioca and TRAVELSIG like this.
  17. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Slightly OT, but I was thinking about a similar thing the other day. About 15 years ago, I was pumping gas when a car pulled up playing LOUD rap music with the first vulgar lyrics I had heard. I thought at the time that we needed a law regarding this issue. I had my (then) young daughter with me at the time.

If any laws were ever passed to prevent this, they certainly haven't been enforced. It is now very common to hear such music in similar situations in the USA. As I predicted, it is also now common to hear profanity used as common language in public places. Lines in Wal Mart are always long, but the longest one I have ever waited in was in ABQ one day when this young woman was talking to her mother, and every other word was profane.

I've experienced most of what is written of here, but public profanity is the number one sign of moral decline and lack of consideration for others in the American society. It really breaks my heart.

As for bare feet on planes, well that's just gross. I don't care how hot it is, I always wear long pants, socks and real shoes on planes, and I never take off my shoes no matter how much my feet ache. Our society is so litigious that the airlines will never adopt dress codes, but that's what we need. Southwest has been in trouble a few times for trying to draw the line.

Wow... I keep thinking of ways to expand this topic, but my blood pressure is already rising, so I'll stop here, take a deep breath and remember that I have no control over the behavior of others. Grrrrrrrrrr............

jbcarioca likes this.
  18. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Seems like the total noise has increased. I was as ATL Tuesday and went to buy a cup of hot Colombian goodness, the barista had to repeat what she was saying 3-4 times because i couldn't hear her due to all the ambient noise. (And my hearing is fine).

jbcarioca likes this.