Airline's website is not always cheaper

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Bluto, Aug 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Bluto
    Original Member

Bluto Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just purchased a flight on Travelocity that was 25% cheaper than the price listed on AA.com. I did not use any promo codes or apply any points. This is the first time I have seen an airline website with a fare that was worse than a price available elsewhere. This was not a phantom quote that disappeared when you clicked on it, because I actually purchased this one. I also navigated to the purchase screen on AA.com to make sure it didn't drop in price on the final page. Incidentally, Hipmunk, Expedia, and AA all listed the higher price. I only happened to notice the lower price because I decided to book on Amex's travel website to get MR points, but then I realized Amex's price was lower than what I had been seeing, and it looked like Amex's site was just powered by the Travelocity engine. Sure enough, when I checked Travelocity it was a few dollars cheaper than Amex.

Has anyone else encountered this?

If I had really been thinking, I would have booked on AA.com and filed a claim against their Low Price guarantee. I would have received the difference credited back to me (supposedly) plus a $50 promo code for future use.

I will upload screenshots if I can figure out how.

sobore likes this.
  2. Bluto
    Original Member

Bluto Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here is the AA.com price in a screenshot MCODFWonAA.jpg

3. Bluto
    Original Member

Bluto Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here are the Travelocity screenshots
    MCODFWonTrav1.jpg
    MCODFWonTrav2.jpg

4. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    A few years ago I noticed AA sale fares would show up on Orbitz hours before they would hit the AA web site. If I wanted to lock in specific dates/flights I would make the purchase on Orbitz just because I wasn't sure the inventory would still make it to AA.com when they did the next fare update. I thought that had been corrected, though, and I stopped checking sale fares on Orbitz because they were available on AA.com when I'd look the first time.

Have you been back to check the fare at AA.com and seen any movement since your Travelocity purchase? I'd be curious if you've run into a situation where that site has updated a fare and you're between windows for updates on the other sites.

sobore likes this.
  5. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same thing happenned to me, but with a different itinerary flying with a different company, and AA did a price match!

6. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is interesting as I have always considered the airline website the low point for price.
    It may make sense to run the itn through a series of booking sites prior to purchase.
    I wonder if Travelocity and Orbitz would be enough to check or are there other sites that exclusively show this at times?

7. jhflau11
    Original Member

jhflau11 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've seen this on a few occasions. Most recently on Delta a few months back. I'd see the price on ITA but it would come up on the airline site. I would go to kayak it would show up and redirect me to the airline site with the cheaper fare.

8. bez7
    Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't see the fare class on the travelocity receipt, was the ticket booked in V as it was priced on aa.com?

9. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I used to see it with DL too when using ITA when ITA would be able to break things into segments and undo "married segment logic". The workaround when this happened was to go to Orbitz and book as multicity. Routinely with me anyway, this was forcing a connection to SFO through JFK as opposed to ATL from CLT.

jhflau11 likes this.
  10. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    After this topic, I'll check all the sites for cheap airfares till the final purchase of the ticket!!!

11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    AA's free hold is definitely a good tool to use in that case. I hope they keep it and don't phase it out now that they're offering a longer hold for $.

sobore likes this.
  12. Bluto
    Original Member

Bluto Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I went back to AA.com and it was still the higher price. It never updated to the lower price so I don't thin kit was a matter of rolling out a sale fare slowly.

13. Bluto
    Original Member

Bluto Silver Member

Status Points:
    I didn't see it either so I put in the reservation code on AA.com and looked it up and it had booked under S. So, perhaps that explains the difference. However, both are coach, and it's surprising that AA.com didn't show the lowest class of coach fare on its site.

14. Philphactor
    Original Member

Philphactor Silver Member

Status Points:
    With all of the hoopla around AA vs. Orbitz, Expedia, Hotwire etc, and AA trying to push channels to Direct Connect, I too am surprised that AA.com isn't lowering the lowest fare class possible. Things that make you go hmmm when you book all of your flights on AA.com :rolleyes: