Airlines that might match hotel status?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by circi, Jun 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. circi

circi Silver Member

Status Points:
    As the title says, are there any airlines that might be willing to give status based on hotel status with a particular chain?

I haven't been flying much but after next month I will be in the air every week and since we are going to be forced to use a company credit card I won't have the option of getting a card for points or status. I do, however, have hotel status and wondering if I can somehow parlez that into elite status on one of the airlines.

sobore and jetsetboy like this.
  2. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Why would they do that? Some airlines give out hotel status for free based on your elite status as like a bonus but the two elite statuses are completely separate.

3. circi

circi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I knew it was a long shot but figured it couldn't hurt to ask :)

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your best bet might be to contact a carrier that serves destinations where your hotel stays occur and approach it as your detailed hotel account attachment documenting how frequently you travel for business, if true. This is very much a YMMV and would depend on contacting someone with decision making authority at the airline. I've never heard of a formal status match program from hotel to airline except possibly as a very short term or promo offer.

if your corporate travel has contracts with an airline, that might facilitate getting status. Ask your travel office if they can propose status for a certain number of employees, new employees, or employees beginning heavy business travel.

5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:

I doubt anybody does that... Hotel status is relatively easy and cheap to acquire, unless they start matching "earned" status from high end chains only... And even then it's significantly easier than getting it by flying.

6. jetsetboy

jetsetboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Your status will come as you fly regularly with the airline or partner airlines. So if I understood correctly, you won't have your own corporate card, but will have to use a central card for booking?

7. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree with asking your travel departmen to see if you can get gifted status, or even a status fast-track. A lot of interesting things are often built into these corporate contracts, from what I understand. Otherwise, suck it up in the back of the bus until you get status like the rest of us did ;)

8. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure what airline the OP is flying But some perks of credit cards are still available to you just for having the card, even if you pay for the ticket with a company card.
    I have the Citi AA card and still get free checked bags etc.. even when my company or someone else is paying for the ticket. It's worth looking into.

9. circi

circi Silver Member

Status Points:
    They haven't sent us the full details yet but my understanding is that each of us will be issued a green AmEx (ick!)

jetsetboy likes this.
  10. jetsetboy

jetsetboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well in that case, it's not so bad. You can register your card with Membership Rewards, as long as your company doesn't have a policy explicitly forbidding this. Amex charges an annual fee for corporate cards to be part of the MR program, which you'll need to pay yourself (I think it's like $75.) Also I remember having to pay a one-time fee to link my corporate card MR account with my personal Amex MR account. It's worth taking care of the fees yourself though, as the rewards will far outweigh the fees! :)

11. circi

circi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I already have a Gold PRG that I got solely for work expenses with a $175 annual fee so I'm pretty ticked at the idea of not being able to expense that fee and pay $75 for a card that doesn't have as many benefits.

jetsetboy likes this.
  12. jetsetboy

jetsetboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh I see. Yeah, I'd be pretty upset about losing the 3x points on airfare too.