Airlines Show India Not As Hot As Thought

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Titans26, Jan 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Titans26

Titans26 Silver Member

Status Points:
  2. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure that measures anything. Once you have a design center in India with several hundred people and 10 managers in US, most of the travel will be just for the US managers that are a small minority. I'd ask phone companies instead of airline companies on the level of engagement.

uggboy likes this.
  3. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hard to believe. I don't think I've ever been on a flight to/from India with more than 2 empty seats.

canucklehead and uggboy like this.
  4. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    May be they should try routing from Bay Area...

canucklehead, uggboy and hulagrrl210 like this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Jet Airways tried a few years ago, SFO to BLR I believe. Didn't work.

uggboy likes this.
  6. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the level of trade is a good metric to help explain the drastically fewer number of direct flights to India vs. China. Another may be geography. Another could be where Indians travel for business and leisure vs. Chinese.

Personally, I think it has to do with Russell Peters' claim... that Indians are the cheapest people in the world... and proud of it. Flights from the US to India with a connection in Europe or elsewhere in Asia tend to be far less expensive than the direct flights. Flip the prices around and I bet you'd see those routes flourishing.

Although at the same time, Russell did say the Chinese were the second cheapest.

canucklehead and uggboy like this.
  7. lohiadk

lohiadk Silver Member

Status Points:
    Most Europen carriers such as LH/BA/KLM/VA have many passengers which use them to fly to Europe. Their marketing of the fligths in and out of India is much better than the us carriers. I would guess more than 50% of the passengers on LH nearly 40 flights a week from India are travelling to the US or Canada. The fares on US carriers and EU carriers are nearly the same.

Since the US carriers started flying to India directly, at the same time many middle east carriers started flying to the US. Their fares to the US from India are lower than the EU or US carriers so they have pulled a lot of traffic their way. From China its sorter to go via the pacific so most EU and middle east carriers do not have too many passengers from China to US.

All that being said I would agree there are more people coming and going to CHINA from USA than India.

As for Indians being the cheapest, they do like to get the best deals, but when they travel abroad for holiday on an average they travel for fewer days but spend more than most travelers on a per day basis, they tend to stay at better hotels and do a lot of shopping and prefer taking taxis than renting cars or using mass transit ( though this is changing as more younger Indians start travelling).