Airlines move away from bereavement fares

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by gregm, Apr 13, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Newscience likes this.
  2. pointshogger

pointshogger Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm torn here. I think that it was a very nice gesture for the airlines to give a discount for bereavement related matters, but that's what it is, a very generous offer.

At the end of the day, it is still a business. If one airline does not think that it is profitable to sell tickets this way, another airline might continue to do so and will probably get more business.

That being said, it would be a shame of all airlines took the same stance as each other. Hopefully there will still be some room for fair competition.

WilliamQ, gregm and Newscience like this.
  3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    This smells, especially when it's necessary for someone to book a last minute flight due a death in the family.

I recall many years ago sharing a room near BWI with another pax (all hotel rooms were fully booked) to get on the first flight out of BWI the next morning, after all flights were cancelled (first for mechanical issues, and then grounded due to a storm). He had competed in the Newport to Bermuda sailing race, and when he arrived in Hamilton, he was told of the death of his wife's father, and that they were holding up the funeral for him.

Needless to say, his use of a bereavement air fare was genuine, and these fares do not represent a hardship on the airline - the article mentions that they are rarely used. I suspect that such fares have crept up in price in recent years. From the article: "Hobica says bereavement discounts were not an easy task for airlines, because it was difficult to determine which fliers legitimately qualified for them." Nonsense! A death certificate should work just fine, and can be checked pretty handily.

4. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not everyone's intentions are genuine....

LETTERBOY, WilliamQ and Newscience like this.
  5. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have to agree. Why was death the single negotiating factor in ticket price? There has to be similarly traumatic events.

pointshogger, WilliamQ and Newscience like this.
  6. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    No one takes any more advantage of a death than the funeral homes.

As for the airlines, clothing store, or whatever service needed or wanted, it's a business's, and all have donated services during the years if business,

No one threw anyone a line when they were going under..

Most of those in a rush to get to the grave site will not even drop a flower at that site 3 years later..,sounds cold but it is a fact.

On Memorial Day I see many graves that have no visitors, or flowers.

LETTERBOY and gregm like this.