Airlines Haven't Put Away the Decks of Playing Cards Just Yet

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, May 8, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.jaunted.com/story/2014/5...+Put+Away+the+Decks+of+Playing+Cards+Just+Yet

[​IMG]

Service on airplanes these days barely includes a soft drink or a bag of pretzels, much less any other little perks to improve comfort. One such perk to nearly bite the dust are branded playing cards, a method of passing the hours before iPads and in-flight movies existed.

There are a few airlines that stock decks of cards for passengers, although generally only available to their big spenders in the first and business class cabins or "by request."
    Here's a list of airlines that still give away decks of cards:

· Emirates offers A380-themed cards to their first and business class flyers on the super jumbo.

Read More: http://www.jaunted.com/story/2014/5...+Put+Away+the+Decks+of+Playing+Cards+Just+Yet

free101girl, euromannn and uggboy like this.
  2. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a modest collection of playing cards from airlines. Here are some:
    airline playing cards.JPG
    Swiss----American Airlines International first Class long ago
    Singapore Airlines A330---Finnair
    United Airlines Royal Pacific Service from just after they bought the pacific from PanAm---Malaysian
    Cathay Pacific---Singapore Promotional Tour cards from an Inaugural Flight (given by the government of Singapore IIRC)
    I also have Concorde from AF, BA and SQ as well as a fair number of others that are good for nostalgia I suppose: Branniff, PanAm, TWA, IranAir, MEA, Sabena, Swissair, BOAC...

I'm happy some people still give them away but am dismayed that I've not collected any from EK.
    There must be some of us with quite large collections, are there not?

3. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    @jbcarioca Nice! Does Delta have playing cards?

jbcarioca and gregm like this.
  4. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I last saw DL cards about 3 years ago, which doesn't mean they don't still have them somewhere.. They're all over eBay though for only a few dollars.

jbcarioca, gregm and WilliamQ like this.
  5. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    but... I would prefer a complimentary deck from a lovely Delta FA in its clear plastic wrapper...
    What if I ask nicely...?:)

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Go for it... if you can get them!

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a used set my Mom gave me from the 60's or 70's. I'm in NY now, but when I get home Sunday I'll post a pic. Of course, my Dad still has decks of TWA cards.

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    They once did, IIRC, but now I think one must pay for them, just as with most airlines.

WilliamQ likes this.
  9. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    image.jpg image.jpg

blackjack-21 and WilliamQ like this.
  10. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    gregm likes this.
  11. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think they used to be freely given during my parent's times... but it could be an Asia thing.
    I personally suspect the lack of in flight entertainment has got something to do with the freely distributed playing cards but I have to ask my parents.

gregm and jbcarioca like this.
  12. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Until about 15 years or so ago most airlines gave away playing cards and many gave away children's games too, with coloring books most common everywhere. Since onboard entertainment options began to grow, wifi began to become available and people began carrying laptops, then tablets and smartphones all that became much less relevant. The airlines that still do give cards away seem to regard them mostly as souvenirs. I note that none of mine for the last decade or so have ver been used, although the older ones mostly have been used. I suspect your parents will tell you much the same.

WilliamQ, gregm and bigx0 like this.