Airlines forced to compete on technology level to lure customers

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, May 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.postcrescent.com/article...orced-compete-technology-level-lure-customers

Frequent business traveler Robert Meister refers to the availability of Wi-Fi on flights as priceless. As the owner of a corporate-communications firm here, Meister said he pays $40 to $50 every month to remain connected with his clients through email and other means on US Airways flights to Boston, Philadelphia and San Francisco. If he knows one flight offers Wi-Fi and another does not, he'll opt for the Internet-enabled flight. "No matter what the price, to me, it is a great tool to stay connected and continue working," Meister said. But Wi-Fi customers like Meister represent a minority of travelers. "Take rates," or the percentage of people who subscribe to Wi-Fi on airplanes, are about 5 percent, according to Amy Cravens, an analyst with Scottsdale, Ariz.-based In-Stat.

2. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    Could careless about Wi-Fi on a plane.....I just want to get to my destination, as fast as possible.

3. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I have not taken advantage of wifi on flights I have taken, I can see how it would be beneficial to some... and on longer flights might buy the wifi... IF the airlines would install power ports at the seats!

4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think a decent IFE is actually more appealing to the average person than anything else. Wi-Fi is actually useful to the business traveler, but I bet you most people are doing the whole "posting on facebook from a plane" status updates or checking emails rather than doing anything actually useful. :)