Airlines enlarge overhead bins

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Mar 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.indystar.com/article/201...rlines-enlarge-overhead-bins?odyssey=nav|head

Fliers can stop sharpening their elbows. Overhead bins are getting bigger.
    Packed planes and a high volume of carry-ons are forcing airlines to expand the space above passengers' heads. United and Delta are the latest airlines to replace or upgrade bins so they hold more luggage. And engineers at Boeing are designing jet interiors with today's bulkier luggage in mind.

http://www.indystar.com/article/201...rlines-enlarge-overhead-bins?odyssey=nav|head

2. CharlesG

CharlesG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Useful until they institute weight restrictions.

autolycus and jetsetr like this.
  3. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    You mean like most airlines around the world? As long as the restrictions aren't too low, I'm fine with it. 20kg, for instance, would be a completely reasonable limit for carry-ons. Most of the pivot-style bins aren't rated for enough weight to deal with more than a few 20kg bags anyway. I really don't want an entire bin falling on my head! 7kg, however, is ridiculous.

CharlesG likes this.
  4. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    20kg that is almost the weight limit for checked bags.

5. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Am I the only one that worries this will just motivate some pax to bring MORE stuff on board...or try to bring on those carry ons that are close/just over the established dimensions?

autolycus likes this.
  6. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    The bags being brought on are too big already. Airlines need to do three things:

1) Strictly enforce the size limit on the main carry-on
    2) Strictly enforce that personal items must fit under the seat and that they must go there initially until it is clear that there is enough room in overhead (i.e. the doors are closed and there is space)
    3) Provide enough overhead space for everyone (or as close to everyone as possible for the plane's size) to have a full-size carry-on

rwoman likes this.
  7. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm wait for AA to introduce Main Cabin Overhead Bin Select!