Airlines Consider Selling You Tickets Based on Your Travel Profile: Breach of Privacy?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Canarsie, Oct 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    What do you think about airlines charging different airfares personalized for you — especially to combat travel comparison Internet web sites?
    This could be a potential recipe for disaster, in my opinion.

Also — if this is actually viable and successful — I can see the frequent travel loyalty programs possibly extending this concept by awarding elite status personalized for each member instead of maintaining established published levels.

What are your thoughts?

Jett Rink likes this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    MX likes this.
  3. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't airlines already have access to all of the personal information, at least to some degree? Anyway, I don't look at this any differently than any other kind of business tailoring specific offers to specific customers. That's just good marketing and good business sense.

Having said that, I think if airlines are that worried about the Expedias & Orbitzes of the world, the best thing to do would be for them to do what WN does and just not allow their fares to be displayed.

4. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Airlines charging different prices (like Amazon's dynamic pricing) would be sneaky and uncool. But, my impression is that what's being considered is more along the lines of showing you the options/bundles they think you're interested in, like the travel site that sorted hotels differently based on your O.S. Showing Mac users nicer properties on the first page, Windows users cheaper hotels on the first page. Either way, you could scroll and see everything, but most people don't bother, so they were trying to guess what you'd be more interested in.

Sent from my iPod Touch using milepoint

5. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Delta was accused of doing this in MSP a few months ago-- if you logged in with your Sky Perk's number, you were shown a higher fare.

DTWBOB

6. ConsultingChris

ConsultingChris Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't go online or sign up for any loyalty programs from anyone and you will be safe from companies building profiles and trying to price your travel based on that profile.

Something similar happens to many of my clients when I am working with them on purchasing software. Many of the software companies will price the software based on the revenue or size of the company. It gets frustrating when we are working with one facility or one small entity within a huge company and get an RFQ back with a price that is much higher than the prices we have been given for identical installations with smaller companies.