Airlines can say: You can't wear that

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Aug 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.chron.com/news/article/Airlines-can-say-You-can-t-wear-that-3814872.php

Airlines give many reasons for refusing to let you board, but none stir as much debate as this: How you're dressed.

A woman flying from Las Vegas on Southwest this spring says she was confronted by an airline employee for showing too much cleavage. In another recent case, an American Airlines pilot lectured a passenger because her T-shirt bore a four-letter expletive. She was allowed to keep flying after draping a shawl over the shirt.
    Both women told their stories to sympathetic bloggers, and the debate over what you can wear in the air went viral.

It's not always clear what's appropriate. Airlines don't publish dress codes. There are no rules that spell out the highest hemline or the lowest neckline allowed. That can leave passengers guessing how far to push fashion boundaries. Every once in a while the airline says: Not that far.

"It's like any service business. If you run a family restaurant and somebody is swearing, you kindly ask them to leave," says Kenneth Quinn, an aviation lawyer and former chief counsel at the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration.

The American Airlines passenger, who declined to be interviewed by The Associated Press, works for an abortion provider. Supporters suggested that she was singled out because her T-shirt had a pro-choice slogan.

A spokesman for American says the passenger was asked to cover up "because of the F-word on the T-shirt." He says that the airline isn't taking sides in the abortion debate.

Read More: http://www.chron.com/news/article/Airlines-can-say-You-can-t-wear-that-3814872.php

Kalboz, 8MiHi, mht_flyer and 3 others like this.
  2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps airlines should have signs like some restaurants about refusing to serve customers who do not dress appropriately. Of course a sign describing what is appropriate would not be a bad idea either. While someone having the F word on their shirt would not offend me, it would offend some people, and someone who wears that is obviously seeking attention. Perhaps being asked to cover it up or leave the plane is the attention they were seeking.

Kalboz, mht_flyer, LETTERBOY and 3 others like this.
  3. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Offending "some people" is not a good standard. Almost anything will offend "some people," including religious headwear, and wearing the 'wrong color.'

kwai, Kalboz, mht_flyer and 3 others like this.
  4. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually someone making a shirt with the F-Word offends. Do you really want to intentionally offend someone by wearing a T-shirt that says that. You will offend someone. I see that type of thing and it just makes me realize how stupid some people can be.

And to the specific case. Working for an abortion provider and stirring up trouble by wearing a shirt with F***?

It seems like there are probably better ways to get your point across rather than challenging societal standards.

Kalboz, 8MiHi, marcwint55 and 3 others like this.
  5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Obviously some people do what they do to push the boundaries, and/or just to get attention. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there that wouldn't dare wear any sort of crazy offending t-shirt to a funeral or their mother's house, but when it's time to go out in public they "want to make a statement" and decide to go for shock value.

To me it makes little difference... It's highly unlikely that I'll get offended, and if nothing else you'll just get the proverbial head-shake if I see someone wearing something stupid. But still, I consider flying -- just like dining out or staying at a hotel -- to be a service, provided for a fee by a company. That company can very well decide what (if any) restrictions they have and whether they want to refuse service, and it's your choice whether you want to support them with your wallet.

You have restaurants out there that require a jacket or dress slacks or they will refuse service outright, and it's your choice if you want to either dress up or go elsewhere to eat. I think of the airlines just the same way... you can choose to "make a statement" or show poor judgement in favor of "free speech" -- and you might very well end up not flying that day.

Kalboz, marcwint55, sobore and 3 others like this.
  6. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now if they would just stop people from flying in their pajamas. Is it really asking to much for people to understand they are not at home but are in public and not everybody wants to see them dressed like slobs.

7. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    It takes a lot for me to be offended by someone's clothing... Actually I can't think of even one occasion that something like that bothered me.

Now if pax have personal hygiene issues.... Well that is another story..

Hovever I can see people offended with expletives on t-shirts, especially if kids are flying with them as well.

Wearing a shirt with a expletive... Is well... Just not common sense, then again I bet the person wearing the shirt had no sense of common sense ;)

viguera, kwai, Kalboz and 4 others like this.
  8. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    not to be argumentative, but I would not equate wearing the wrong color to wearing what is considered extremely foul vocabulary.

Kalboz, Mapsmith and 8MiHi like this.
  9. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I could not agree more with you.

10. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Maybe you should, because people have been shot and killed over the wrong clothing in the wrong 'hood.

Kalboz likes this.
  11. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would tend to ignore written offensive statements even though these can reduce the overall experience of the flight.
    Of course that wouldn't stop me from thinking that the wearer is a bit off base and deserves to have their 'speech' backfire.

LETTERBOY, viguera and Kalboz like this.
  12. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm offended by the incessant use of 'in an abundance of caution' and the continued citing of an incident from 11 years ago every time I'm on a plane. Can we please ban these?

13. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You have clearly never flown in CX F. Of course, they are designer pajamas, and you don't board in them :)

14. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    How someone dresses is a no-brainer for me. Next case, step down please. I have no need to police other people's appearances. I do agree with the personal hygiene comment.

15. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points: