Airlines asking for card used to book at check-in

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Valentine, Oct 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Valentine

Valentine Silver Member

Status Points:
    This spins off from a long dispute I'm having here, but that's not really the point.

Do you think that it's fair for airlines to deny you check-in if you don't produce the card used for booking?

1. What if your card was lost/stolen and replaced with one with another number?

2. What if a friend booked the tickets for you?

3. What if an agent decides to try and get away with IATA Resolution 890 and books you with one of their corporate cards?

I never could understand these rather silly and draconian terms. Could anyone clue me in?

jbcarioca, JohnDeere19 and sfo1 like this.
  2. miloki
    Original Member

miloki Silver Member

Status Points:
    This makes absolutely no sense. My husband flies all the time on flights purchased by his employer. My mother-in-law flies to visit us all the time with tickets purchased by us. Neither has experienced any problems.

jbcarioca and JohnDeere19 like this.
  3. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was told once some years ago by UA that if I wanted an employer to use their credit card to pay for trips, all the employer would need to do is set up an account with UA with the credit card that would be used. But then did not make much sense, since I would not have the employer used cc with me. Never did it however, just paid for my trips and got reimbursed.

jbcarioca and JohnDeere19 like this.
  4. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've heard that it mostly happens with tickets to high fraud destinations, but I find it to cause more hardship than benefit.

jbcarioca, Flyer1976 and sfo1 like this.
  5. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    I once needed the card to make a change in my flights while at my initial destination. So, now that is on my travel check list. Which cards do I need to bring. I do not recall needing one just to check in.

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I frequently book my wife's UA tickets with my UA Visa as I earn triple RDM and one EQM for each united.com dollar (up to 5000 per year). I have frequently seen a red warning on the eticket receipt that the credit card is required at checkin. Online checkin has never been a problem. My wife has a different last name.

I also got the same warning when I booked international F awards for my parents (same name as me) from my MP account. In that case, since they were departing from abroad and I couldn't showup had united denied checkin at the counter, I called UA upfront to deal with it over the phone and they insisted that I go to a united ticket counter and present the card to have the flag cleared. This was for a $100 or so tax charge, not a $10,000 F revenue ticket.

I will now be sending a complaint to both Chase and United each time I am forced to show the card at the ticket counter. In general, I purchase tickets months in advance, so united will have long received the money by the time of departure.

The very first time I encountered this was when SQ wanted to see the card when I checked in and I wasn't even sure if I had the particular card with me. Like jwsky I am now very careful which cards I need to take on a trip.

jbcarioca and miloki like this.
  7. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    SQ used to be very strict with this, they always wanted to see the card for all tickets purchased on their website. Although their PPS elites were exempted from this requirement. Now they've done away with this practice as I find I've no longer need to show my card at check-in.

One time I forgot to bring my card at check-in in JFK and the check-in agent said that she would need to enter the last 4 digits of the card in her system before it could allow her to print the boarding pass. Luckilly I remembered so no harm done.

lwkatya and jbcarioca like this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I have heard (but not experienced myself) that if you can't present the card when they require it, they'll allow you to cancel and rebook with no fees/same fare with a different card that is present at the counter.

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've seen UA do this multiple times. I do NOT think it's reasonable. In one case, it was an award ticket I had booked many months earlier, and I had canceled the card in the intervening time, so I was no longer carrying it. In another case, it was an award ticket that I had gifted someone. Asking to see the card when it's for the $5 in taxes is not reasonable -- the greater value is in the miles, by far.

10. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Had this happen a few times on UA when I would book with the UA debit card, agent said some crap about fraud check. Never happened when booking with my AMEX cc tho.

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Had this happen in 2009 when flying BA to LHR (paid with BofA AS Visa). Didn't (and still don't) think it's a big deal.

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Were you warned ahead of time that you'd need to show the card?

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. Miles
    Original Member

Miles Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is not limited to flying. The show-me-the-card requirement applies when you try to board the train to Machu Picchu that you had previously booked online.

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not that I recall, but BofA did block the transaction when I first tried to book the ticket. I had to call them before they'd let it go through. That may have had something to do with it.

Even if they don't let you know in advance, I don't think that it's a big deal to stick a piece of plastic in your wallet.

15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It's a big deal if you don't happen to not take that particular card with you on that trip and suddenly they want to see it. E.g. I might book my ticket with my SPG Amex, but don't generally take it with me when I travel abroad since I don't want to use it due to its Forex charges. Or even if they display a little note when you book the ticket -- you might have forgotten that six months later when you actually travel (and of course the ticket charge has long been paid at that time).

Or what if you bought the ticket for someone else and are not traveling with them?

16. GreekDeno

GreekDeno Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recently booked a ticket for my gf and got that warning to present the card. She's departing on a later date than me so not possible for us. I stopped by the united club last week and explained the situation. I showed them the card and she removed the show the card requirement on my gf's ticket. So basically, you just have to show somebody at the airport your card for the other person's flight. Shouldn't be too much of a hassle if you travel quite a bit.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, as I mentioned in post 6.

Still unnecessary and annoying (I am not at the airport that often), especially considering that my wife is usually traveling with me, but when she travels alone, I generally use my card for her ticket (so I get the EQM), so UA should have about four or five years' worth of transactions with that pattern.