Airlines' Anti-Fraud Policies Can Stop International Fliers In Their Tracks

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, Oct 22, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    || Airlines' Anti-Fraud Policies Can Stop International Fliers In Their Tracks ||

Interesting insights.:)

sobore, 8MiHi, MX and 2 others like this.
  2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Blah that sucks. That means i have to bring w/me my airlines cards even though I don't use them for anything except buying the plane ticket.

uggboy and MX like this.
  3. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, and you can't use virtual account numbers (e.g. from Citibank or Discover) for portions of your trip that start overseas, including trains.

uggboy likes this.
  4. effseeoh

effseeoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, that is a really dumb policy. If you can use a stolen credit card to buy a ticket and then make a change that results in an additional $5 charge, you use your own CC for the trival sum and you've beaten this dumb system.

uggboy and edekba like this.
  5. HouseofV

HouseofV Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is in the small print for tickets bought in Venezuela and other Central and South American countries, however, I've found they don't enforce it at all.

I even went as far as asking an AA agent (on the phone) if I could pay my ticket with somebody else's credit card and they said no problem. Have done it before and never had an issue.

The truth is once the ticket is issued, it's issued. No going back. If you manage to avoid all human interaction (check-in at kiosks), then there's even less of a chance they'll ask you for anything at all.

uggboy likes this.
  6. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very common on Asia based carriers. I've dealt with it on PG and TG every time I've booked through their websites.

edekba and uggboy like this.
  7. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    uggboy likes this.
  8. kziel

kziel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've flown around half of my 45k miles this year on tickets purchased on some else's card (all of those on solo trips). On those trips, I've VDB'd, changed flights, checked bags, and then some. Never even thought about the fact that I didn't have the card that paid for the trip.

EDIT: Seeing as the focus of this is international travel, last year I flew to Singapore on my own twice on a credit card that wasn't mine and I didn't have when I travelled, no (CC related) issues whatsoever.

uggboy likes this.
  9. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Once upon a time United would demand to see the credit card used to purchase an e-ticket (not just awards) when you checked in at the airport. As a college student frequently traveling on tickets purchased with my dad's credit card, this made my life tons of fun!

uggboy likes this.