Airline tickets fare codes: Can someone explain for me?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Lisa R., Mar 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Lisa R.
    Original Member

Lisa R. Active Member

Status Points:
    Can someone please explain the differences in the letters in the classes of tickets for me? Such as a Y class ticket which I am lead to believe can get you upgraded to the next class....and if your not upgraded what does this or any type of ticket do for or get you..Thanks because I am so confused...;p

2. Hey Lisa,
    there are a lot of ticket classes.

First class:
    F = Full-Fare First Class
    P = First Class (some airlines use this code for business class)
    A = First Class Discounted (usually restrictions on refunds)
    R = First Class Suites

Business class:
    C, J = Full-fare Business Class
    D, I, Z = Business Class Discounted (usually restrictions on refunds and upgrades; "I" is often used if you used miles to upgrade your ticket)

Economy class:
    Y = unrestricted economy ticket

N = Non-Revenue tickets for company workers
    W, X = Frequent Flyer Program (Awards)
    O, T, X = discounted fares with restrictions on on refunds
    S, W, E = usually premium economy

Don't kill me if I'm wrong (correct me instead), but this is my first posting and I'm confident to be right about the classes.

3. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Classes vary somewhat by carrier. Upgrades usually are restricted to Elites but some have Y-UP fares that will land you in a first class seat.

Tell us a bit about your travel habits and we can be more helpful.

miles and smiles, Lisa R. and savydog like this.
  4. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice first post Philipp [​IMG]

5. savydog
    Original Member

savydog Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is very handy information. Thank you for taking the time to post it here. [​IMG]

miles and smiles likes this.
  6. Lisa R.
    Original Member

Lisa R. Active Member

Status Points:
    My friend and I usually travel together 3 or 4 times a year to Europe. He also travels alone all over the world approx 3 times a year. Last Oct we traveled to the Ukraine his ticket was a First Class purchased with miles, while mine was an economy purchased with $. Our travel agent told us to ask @ the gate about an upgrade for myself since we were traveling together. We were told that mine didn't qualify for an upgrade ( even though there were plenty of empty seats ) because it was not a Y ticket...so this has made me very curious about the classes of tickets.

7. Lisa R.
    Original Member

Lisa R. Active Member

Status Points:
    Thank you so much for taking the time to post back. And I agree, for a first post that was great.. the question was my first post and to have it answered so quickly and thoroughly is fantastic...Thanks again

8. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    miles and smiles, Bonnie and Lisa R. like this.
  9. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    The earlier point about different fare types for different airlines needs to be reiterated. The information that Philipp provided is useful, but does not apply to every airline. The best plan is to go to the specific airline forum for your preferred airline and read their FAQs and inquire about the current state of things as the rules vary widely from one airline to another.

Welcome to MilePoint. :)

miles and smiles, PAinNY and Gargoyle like this.
  10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The CO data is off as is the UA data. Some of it quite badly, though at least it is closer than it was last time I checked their charts a year or so ago.

This list is fine but it is by no means authoritative for all the airlines out there. Each has their own policies and setup. Within Star Alliance there is a tiny bit of standardization amongst some of the carriers but even there it is not universal. Any list that claims to be conclusive is by definition wrong since the airlines are not consistent in their implementation.

This is the best advice offered so far. :cool:

11. Lisa R.
    Original Member

Lisa R. Active Member

Status Points:
    WOW! THANKS! I DIDN'T EXPECT TO GET THE RESPONSE THAT I HAVE...WOW! THANKS!

miles and smiles and Gargoyle like this.
  12. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    No problem, thats what we do here when we're not goofing around.
    BTW, in our OP (original post) you referred to a "Y" ticket. Note that "Y" can be used two ways- it can be in the true sense, a full-fare upgradeable coach ticket, or it can be used in the generic sense, to apply to any coach ticket.

13. Can someone explain about how tickets booked in certain classes are not eligible for earning any miles or the fact that sometimes you may not earn the equivalent of a full mile? I had a flight last year from Sydney to NYC(with the plane touching down in LA first) and I was told I could not earn any miles because it was a discounted aifare. How can I find out ahead of time whether I will be able to earn miles? I'm in the AAdvantage program.

14. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Each airline has different rules on how much different fare classes earn, and how much you can earn for flying partner airlines.
    For AA, here is the chart for earning on flights they operate, and here are the links to charts for earning on partner airlines. So, there is no simple answer. Check these in advance, and keep your boarding pass until the miles post. If they don't post correctly, you may need to fax in your boarding pass to get credit.

miles and smiles and PAinNY like this.
  15. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you were crediting to AA and flying SYD-LAX-JFK, that means your SYD-LAX leg was on Qantas (QF). QF discount fares only earn 50% mileage when credited to AA (it is this way in several of the OneWorld airlines). You can see QF earnings on AA by clicking here and you can check the earnings of all other AA partners by clicking here.

Again, the moral of the story here is to review the information offered by the airline as well as review FAQs and other posts in the particular airline's forum here on MilePoint. The information is out there (usually). :)

16. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    High praise from the Global Media Empire. :D

17. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Each loyalty program has its own set of rules - many of which are ridiculously complex and arcane - related to the earning of status on flights they operate as well as that of partners. Most loyalty programs list the full details on their website so you can try to figure it out in advance.

Making it even more complicated is that some carriers base the earning on the marketing carrier (i.e. the carrier code on the receipt you get) while others base it on the operating carrier (i.e. the company who actually flies the airplane). It is actually possible to buy a ticket from one airline, coded by another and operated by a third and those flights might not earn any points even though you bought it from the carrier you want to credit to. Star Alliance is pretty consistent about crediting based on the operating carrier. SkyTeam and OneWorld are more about marketing carrier but it can still have some variation to it.

18. Thanks for all the info.

19. Anyone know the difference between U and K classes (on Delta)?

20. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    In terms of what? They both earn the same miles according to this page at Delta.com. It is likely that a U fare will be less expensive than a K fare, but may carry more restrictions.

21. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    On DL, U is a deeply discounted fare which is unlikely to be available when the planes are pretty full at the time you purchase your ticket. It's the next to bottom (cheapest is T) fare class. Sometimes the very lowest DL fares are referred to as sLUT fares as a bit of a joke, since L is the one just above U.

DL's discount but not deep discount fares are H, Q, and K, with K being the cheapest of these three.

The highest coach fare classes on DL are Y, B, and M, where Y (full fare) is the most expensive and is normally fully refundable. It's sometimes more expensive than FC. These fares earn 150% spendable miles and 150% status miles (called MQMs on DL).

22. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do not expect or trust your travel agent to know which fares can be upgraded on various carriers. They are not experts on this and don't have the time or incentive to check the rules.

IME it would have been extraordinarily unusual for a carrier to upgrade you TATL, especially from coach to FC (not just to business class) just because your traveling companion had a FC award ticket. TATL upgrades require miles or other upgrade instruments and status sometimes plays a role. Even if the carrier needed to upgrade someone in order to have a seat for everyone with a coach ticket for the plane, elites and those with full fare tickets are likely to be moved up first, not someone with a paid discount ticket who knows someone on the flight travelling an a FC award ticket.

23. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now that you lot are discussing the fare class I thought I would drop a handy tool to actually find the fare class (M, Y, C, F class may often refer to just the cabin rather than the actual fare class):

http://eitr.amadeusasia.com/

Enter your 6 digit reservation number and last name and hit enter.
    Then find the column saying CL and the letter there is your fare class.

Example:
    Code:
    FROM /TO         FLIGHT CL DATE  DEP   FARE BASIS    NVB   NVA   BAG ST

COPENHAGEN      SK 1677 U  15MAY 1930  UDKRTM                    1PC OK
     TERMINAL:3         FLIGHT OPERATED BY:CIMBER STERLING
     BERLIN TEGEL                     ARRIVAL TIME: 2030

BERLIN TEGEL    SK 1678 T  17MAY 2055  TDKRTM                    1PC OK
     COPENHAGEN                       ARRIVAL TIME: 2155
     TERMINAL:3
    Although it is a little messy it should be visible that I am booked in class U and T, respectively.
    It can also be read from the Fare Basis of which the first letter of the code is the booking class.

Also note that the first flight is operated by a different carrier than the ticketing carrier and in cases like that it is next to impossible to know which fare class it qualifies as with the ticketing carrier.
    Many a traveller have experienced the frustration of not getting the amount of points one was hoping for according to the fare class on the operating carrier because it booked into a 'lower' class on the ticketing carrier.

24. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There's also www.checkmytrip.com if it is an Amadeus itinerary. Those sites won't work for tickets booked though other GDSes though. So if it doesn't always work.

25. traveler
    Original Member

traveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    This or something like it should be a sticky or could the single letters be added to the highlight tool?