Airline Ticket Tax Holiday

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Remky, Jul 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Remky
    Original Member

Remky Silver Member

Status Points:
    Mapsmith and Gargoyle like this.
  2. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, Right. The airlines SHOULD not collect the tax, but any re-authorization will probably include a retroactive clause to where they will have to forward the taxes that should have been collected during the shutdown.

And I think that the FAA should shut MCO down as the first airport because of John Mica.

MSPeconomist and Gargoyle like this.
  3. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course the whole US commercial air system could be shut down by early August if Congress doesn't raise the debt limit!

Mapsmith likes this.
  4. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
  5. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I noticed the list didn't mention CO, so I don't know if they included it as part of the merged UA. Here's my 2 cents.

I booked tickets on UA and CO at various times today, from about 1 AM to 4 PM PST. At the beginning, I found that CO had not increased its fares and was passing along the savings. Good for me since I was flying CO metal anyway and these were the most expensive tickets I had to buy, with non-negotiable dates and times. For the same seats, UA had increased fares, or at least hadn't taken out the taxes yet. Later, I found that both had dropped the taxes, but I booked those tickets on CO still. By this afternoon, both had raised their fares to match the lost taxes. (I created a little Excel document on Friday to keep track of the original prices.) But it didn't matter because these last ones were fairly cheap and I was getting reimbursed. In fact, you could even click on the fare rules and see that it was for travel booked on or after 7/22/11. So my guess is that UA/CO had some variation in when their systems started removing taxes from their respective booking systems, but at some point they uploaded a new set of fares to eliminate a brief window of opportunity. I'm glad I booked the expensive ones last night!