Airline ticket scams go to new heights

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, Jan 10, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    || Airline ticket scams go to new heights ||

These days everything seems possible. :confused:

2. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is an old story and the tip off is airlines never email tickets.... just confirmations.

DTWBOB

skyvan, uggboy and PointsCashMiles like this.
  3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I never understood how people think they've "won" contests that they never entered... like the old chain e-mail about how Bill Gates was going to send you money if you forwarded the email to all your friends...

uggboy, anabolism and PointsCashMiles like this.
  4. PointsCashMiles

PointsCashMiles Silver Member

Status Points:
    There seems to be a lot of this going around Facebook as well - I've seen quite a few messages saying that people have "redeemed" for 2 Free Southwest Airlines Tickets.

uggboy and viguera like this.
  5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I remember it was a similar setup... follow us on Instagram blah blah.

What I don't understand is why all these companies are always late to the party. It's like back in the early days of the web, when nobody registered domain names or they were slow to maintain them or renew the registration. Instagram, be it as stupid as it may be, is still home to a couple of hundred million users. You can't just ignore that...

Even if you just create an account for your business so that nobody does it first, they need to get on the ball.

6. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't feel bad. They clearly don't understand either.

7. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    "First discovered by?" Oh come on. This scam was "discovered" by everyone who received a fake email and saw right through it. Like the ones from Nigeria.

PointsCashMiles and uggboy like this.
  8. I just turned down an offer to help move some of Gadaffi's stranded money from Burundi to Canada. Do you think I made a mistake? :D

9. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    No, you did good; in passing it up you freed up that option so that I could handle it. They promised the money will be in my account Monday morning.

Thanks! Send me your bank account info and I'll wire you a little something as a thank you.

Stils, uggboy and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  10. Stils

Stils Silver Member

Status Points:
    I feel good about this. Can I get in on this action?

Gargoyle likes this.
  11. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hey if anyone wants to get some free money from Nigeria I can get you in touch with a guy.

Gargoyle likes this.
  12. Ok I'm going to Western Union shortly to open a receipient account.

Gargoyle likes this.
  13. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Mileage runs to LOS, anyone?

skyvan and guinnessxyz like this.
  14. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is great to see humour on the board, but the flip side is that everyone seems easily persuaded to focus on the 'safety' of defying too good to be true offers. It seems likely to me that there will be any number of MP users who continue to defy the 'safe' or the 'conventional' routes to transacting for flight tickets. And it is fertile territory.

The means and ways to construct business class fares at coach prices are typically unconventional, and the artistry involved might look 'odd' to the uninitiated, but my preferred approach is to be careful with any counter party with whom I discuss a trade, in the same way I would be careful about a transaction to buy a car or anything else for that matter

I have been fortunate, as have colleagues and a few friends, to have found interesting counter parties on facebook, and other social media sites, which has led to the conclusion of excellent quality deals which might have seemed on the face of them, too good to be true, but actually were perfectly sound and worked perfectly.

It seems to e that it' your money and your choice which way you choose to spend your green, and some people get more for their's than do others.

15. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Flying Bat, I'm a bit confused by your post. Are you equating phishing email scams with trades? And how do trades figure into "construct[ing] business class fares at coach prices?"