Airline SAS has no room for negotiation on cuts - CEO

Discussion in 'SAS | EuroBonus' started by uggboy, Nov 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    || Airline SAS has no room for negotiation on cuts - CEO ||

Let's hope SAS can survive and doesn't cut itself to nothing, but sweeping changes and a new stronger focus are needed.

SpotOn and Kalboz like this.
  2. SpotOn

SpotOn Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are exciting times ahead as the deadline for "acceptance" of cost cutting measures by unions in Norway, Sweden and Denmark approaches. They all need to agree to the cuts if SAS is to have a fighting chance. Not sure that will happen though.... It certainly looks like some are ready to reject the proposed deal.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  3. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    In that case, they'd be cutting off their nose to spite their face. The cuts are a lot better than having the airline go out of business and getting nothing.

4. SpotOn

SpotOn Silver Member

Status Points:
    This exact point was made by a SK employee in the Norwegian news yesterday. Better to just accept the cut and then start looking for a new job while still being employed, than to reject the offer and end up with guaranteed unemployment and then start searching for new work.

nacho and LETTERBOY like this.
  5. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can't agree more with that.

However the Danish unemployment benefit is too good - staffs got laid off can get a good unemployment benefit for 2 years. You have to send some job apps once in a while but that's not a big hassle comparing to working :p

LETTERBOY likes this.
  6. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    If an American (the nationality, not the airline) employee said this, the world would spontaneously combust. :D Actually, I'm surprised any employee would say something like that.

7. SpotOn

SpotOn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well... If in the US, would the employee be asked in the first place? Would he/she rather not just be told to take the cut (or find a new job). Or is this just the typical European misconception of US labor practices? ;)

8. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    They'll say they want to be asked, consulted, or whatever, and if the cuts turn out to be necessary, then they'll go along with it. But they really don't mean it. They want their piece of the pie no matter what, even if there's no pie left, and everybody is already morbidly obese from overeating said pie.

9. Fredrik
    Original Member

Fredrik Silver Member

Status Points:
    It really looks like Final Call for SAS this time. I am very happy I booked my weekend trip on BA. I am not sure at all the unions will agree to the cuts. I'm not sure all the cuts are really necessary either. I have a feeling that management and the owners have a back up plan that needs the unions to reject the offer first. Is it really a coincidence that Blue1 just a few weeks ago changed their set up?