Airline Rejects 25% Of New Pilots On Psychological Grounds

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by BoardingArea, May 18, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. BoardingArea

BoardingArea News Feed

Status Points:
    The Germanwings tragedy left a lot of people in shock. While we know accidents happen, we naturally assume that pilots are going to be the ones trying to save the plane, and not the ones trying to crash it. My personal (completely uneducated) opinion is: -- If someone wants to pull something off, they'll find a way to do it. In other words, while always requiring two people in the cockpit isn't a bad idea, I'm not convinced that would actually prevent something similar from happening in the future. -- There's only so much that can be outwardly detected. Perhaps I'm being naive here, but I have a hard time imagining there are any sort of tests which could be performed on the hundreds of thousands of "active" pilots to truly tell whether they're mentally "fit" to fly. -- All this doesn't mean we can't put extra checks in place. My point is that nothing will with 100% certainty prevent something similar in the future, but at the same time that doesn't mean we can't do our best to try. The post Airline Rejects 25% Of New Pilots On Psychological Grounds appeared first on One Mile at a Time.

Continue reading...