Airline Policy: No Service, No Complaining

Discussion in 'Other Airlines | Asia/Australia' started by HiIslands, Jun 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    This article in Time Moneyland about Japan's Skymark Airlines is almost unbelievable:
    "Just when you thought customer service aboard flights couldn’t get worse, one budget carrier has notified passengers that there’s no chance airline attendants would help them stow bags in overhead bins. Attendants are also not required to use “polite language” when addressing passengers. And if you’ve got a complaint on the flight? Save your breath.
    Skymark Airlines, a budget carrier in Japan, has come under heat recently because of the notices posted on its aircraft last month. The airline’s eight-point “Service Concept” guideline, introduced aboard flights in mid-May, is one odd, seriously customer-unfriendly concept.
    According to The Telegraph, the notice stated that airline personnel would not assist passengers trying to place their bags into overhead bins. Passengers shouldn’t expect attendants to be all that nice to them either. The crew was under no obligation whatsoever to use “polite language” during interactions with passengers.
    Why would an airline put such policies into effect? According to Skymark’s guidelines, the main explanation is that first and foremost, the crew’s job is to address safety issues. Tending to the needs of passengers is above and beyond the call of duty, apparently. It’s a distraction, especially if one has to do so in a cordial manner.
    What’s more, Skymark warned passengers that they were not to complain to airline staffers, under threat of being kicked off the plane:
    “We will not accept any complaints made on-board. In case a passenger does not understand that, we will ask the person to leave so that we can take off as scheduled. If passengers have complaints, we urge them to contact our customer service centre, the National Consumer Affairs Center or other related agencies.”
    It’s this last part that has gotten Skymark into trouble with the authorities. The head of Japan’s Consumer Affairs Agency said that it was improper to tell customers to direct their complaints to public organizations, and requested that Skymark change the policy. Under pressure, Skymark recently agreed to revise at least the part of its guidelines regarding complaints.
    It’s all but impossible, however, for any agency to force an airline to be nice to passengers, though. Then again, you’d think it wouldn’t be necessary for the authorities to tell businesses that it’s not smart to be impolite to paying customers."
    Brad Tuttle is a reporter at TIME. Find him on Twitter at @bradrtuttle.

Source: http://moneyland.time.com/2012/06/1...p-passengers-be-nice-or-listen-to-complaints/

MissBurrill, MX and mht_flyer like this.
  2. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Their website is pretty sparse... Heres a portion telling you what is against the law....

I laughed when I read number one, I mean really? :)

I also like they posted specific instructions for some specific mobile phone models....

HiIslands likes this.
  3. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    And this from their helpful Seatbelt FAQ...

4. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    And just in case you have no idea what the seatbelt sign is....

5. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Their reply doesn't actually answer the question.

6. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very true.. Much like many of their other FAQs.... :)

NYBanker likes this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sir, are you complaining about that?

8. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've already agreed a voluntary lifetime ban from this carrier. ;)

Blue Skye, icurhere2, rwoman and 3 others like this.
  9. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    People choose where to spend their money...as such, they can choose to/not to fly a carrier...

Blue Skye likes this.
  10. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    what a bunch of poopie heads.

11. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    this part, underlined, is a complete oxymoron: For small children, a loose seatbelt can be adjusted by putting a blanket around their waist. Please ask a cabin crew member for blankets.

how is someone going to ask a crew member to assist them when they have already said that they won't? :confused: unless of course this is considered a safety issue.:p

as for people choosing to fly this airline, i can almost see it as a novelty in being able to say you flew them and they were so rude to you, etc. like going to a comedy club or similar place where you know they will insult and belittle you. (i don't understand the draw, but some people may think it is fun. *shrugs*)

12. SOLTATIO

SOLTATIO Silver Member

Status Points:
    Airline prices are expensive enough as it is. With the current cost of fuel, I doubt this airline's prices will be significantly lower than it's competitors. Part of the price you pay is for a service (or sometimes lack thereof). I will not pay money to a carrier that will not at least try to make the experience of flying somewhat pleasant (Singapore Air) or at least tolerable (Air China.)

13. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points: