Airline Passengers: Mind Your Own Business!

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Newscience, Sep 3, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Airline Passengers: Mind Your Own Business!

Over the last couple of months there seems to be a trend of passengers acting as citizen journalists or their own little group of vigilantes that no one asked for. They seem to be more situationally aware of their surroundings, which is good, but they're focusing their attention, energy and time into the most mundane situations...

Read this article here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bobby-laurie/airline-passengers-mind-y_b_8084408.html

Counsellor, anileze, uggboy and 3 others like this.
  2. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I feel the same way when bloggers try to shame random people for doing something they find offensive such as bare feet on the bulkhead. Since when is it really ok to take photos of people that you are not willing to confront?

3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    People just cant seem to mind their own business. How often have we heard how some zenophobic, idiotic passenger complain that somebody is reading "Arabic" or praying to Islam even if they are Jews reading Hebrew and they are kicked of the plane because the complainants "feels uncomfortable"

Or that the FA are eating their (the pax's) meals or bring on more than one carry-on etc etc.

4. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is the perfect example. A crew member doing it is crossing the line. Never mind this very person blogging probably didn't bother to airplane-mode their phone before taking the photo and the article makes a good point - what about everyone else blatantly disregarding crew instructions in every possible situation? All the people on EVERY FLIGHT who never turn off their phone, get up the moment the plane lifts off, bring on bags the size of a small country, flush paper towels down the toilet, and use the first class lav from economy? THE WORLD NEEDS TO KNOW! *smh*

iolaire, Newscience, anileze and 3 others like this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    That blogger (author?) needs an editor. Painful to read.

I don't quite see putting your feet up on the wall to be on the same level as violating FAA and airline rules while in uniform. The pilot should realize that by setting a bad example he is just encouraging the other passengers to also pick and choose their own rules. And he is undermining the authority of the FAs working the flight who are expected to enforce the rules.

6. PaulOnion

PaulOnion Silver Member

Status Points:
    To be honest, your constant bickering back and forth has forced me to consider shunning you all indefinitely.

I'm sure I'll be missed !

Bring Trump on the plane. He'll fix it all. And stop flying the heck over the mansion I bulit in Palm Beach with my 43rd bankruptcy filing.
    Your airplane engine noise is disturbing to my luxurious linen flower arrangements.

Sheesh the nerve of some people.

anileze likes this.
  7. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    We can only hope:D

8. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
    iolaire, Newscience and daninstl like this.
  9. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree - a sort of vigilantism http://instagram.com/passengershaming

iolaire and Newscience like this.
  10. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have come to the conclusion that, a size able chunk of people should not be allowed to leave their shires/village/neighborhood, let alone board a plane to go some place.... Nice ;)

Higgs-boson ( Heaven) forbid, if one is not upgraded (happening often now :( ) and you are caught listening to nonstop commentaries dictated by these newbies into their favorite Samsung, LG, etc. about everything real and imagined inside the aircraft. :)

Worst are a herd of bridesmaids and a school of groom buddies, heading to a destination wedding !

iolaire and Newscience like this.
  11. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    All excellent points, anileze! Between the totally clueless who act like they've never flown or don't understand the concept of TSA (how can this happen in 2015? :rolleyes:) and the DYKWIAs, the "unfriendly skies" can be a tough place to travel.

Actually, the "best" security dustup I've seen was a while back in IST, with the security guys reading newspapers, and the passengers getting into shouting matches with them! :eek:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
    anileze likes this.
  12. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you want people to leave you alone put on a surgical mask, sure way to save a middle seat on WN also.

They will not even look at you...:D

timfrost and Newscience like this.