Airline Lounges

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by IMGone, Feb 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    What do you expect from a Lounge?

What do you want from a Lounge?

For me the expectations are
    • a comfortable seat,
    • access to a drink (soft and alcoholic),
    • light fruit/vegetables and some very basic snacks.
    • A quiet area is a necessity in case there is a family with uncontrollable kids in the vicinity.
      Access to wi-fi and an electricity (with adapter available if I am outside US and need one).
    • Also, clean tables and staff that is efficient and friendly (something that doesn't happen enough, unfortunately)

Wants include:
    • a shower available at the main arrival/destination airports (at a minimum) or any airport that has red eye departure or arrivals.
    • the opportunity to purchase or have some "real" food options in the lounge, even if it is a BOB from the respective airline. (and I don't see why those aren't just made available as a matter of course!)
    • Not get raped on the cost of a decent alcoholic beverage

kiwi likes this.
  2. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Shower is most important - too many long flights, or same day returns where need shower to freshen up.
    Computers next - for staying in tough & catching up on MP/FT.
    Drink third - this may surprise some being only 3rd.

3. Zinzan
    Original Member

Zinzan Active Member

Status Points:
    Not at all - after all, drinks are usually much more readily available in-flight than are showers or internet access![​IMG]

4. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    As much as you're in the air, I'm surprised you don't bring a netbook, iPad or tablet along. Is it a matter of just not wanting to carry the extra equipment and cables/cords?

My primary reason for lounge access is just to have a quiet place with wi-fi away from the masses. Generally only use showers at arrivals lounges at my final destination.

5. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Number one thing is for the lounge dragons to understand you are a traveler looking for a respite from a hectic travel schedule.
    The last thing a traveler needs to have some sort of hassle. If you are a lounge attendant, understand the lounge rules to the best of your ability and try to err on the side of the traveler within reason. Make people feel welcome and offer assistance where possible. A traveler feeling well cared for goes a very long way.

BondAir007 and lili like this.
  6. 2lovelife
    Original Member

2lovelife Silver Member

Status Points:
    I expect the lounge to have a counter or agents to help us with itineraries or booking issues too.

It's nice to have news papers.

kiwi likes this.
  7. JohnnieD
    Original Member

JohnnieD Silver Member

Status Points:
    I expect a clean, quieter, comfortable seating area. Food isnt that impotant since I get food on the plane in premium seats. BTW, the contract lounge for LH at FCO failed all expectations. Just not a nice place....

8. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes I bring one, but most often do not. I travel very light.

9. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ooh forgot about this. I've been saved from major problems (usu. misconnects) by lounge staff more times than I can count.

10. tsastor
    Original Member

tsastor Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would appreciate somewhere to leave your baggage safely for a while. I'm surprised so few lounges offer that.

11. flunky
    Original Member

flunky Silver Member

Status Points:
    For me a lounge should have
    A comfortable place to sit & not be super crowed
    Easy to access electrical outlets
    Free WIFI that's easy to access
    Restrooms in the lounge area
    Light snacks & drinks
    Attendants that have up to date flight info. (Hate getting to the gate & the plane isn't even there yet.)
    Everything should be free. If i want to buy food or drinks I can do that in the terminal.

12. LN-FHU
    Original Member

LN-FHU Silver Member

Status Points:
    This reminds me of MUC FCL......[​IMG]

13. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The main thing I need is good quality wi-fi, too often it is difficult to connect, keeps dropping out or is too slow to even check my emails. [​IMG]

14. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree with you my banana gobbling friend!

15. sithlord
    Original Member

sithlord Silver Member

Status Points:
    Once you experience the virgin clubhouse in heathrow,all lounges will pale in comparison.

16. eightblack
    Original Member

eightblack Silver Member

Status Points:
    For me:

1. Fast, reliable wireless
    2. A decent range of food (fruit is always welcome)
    3. Decent champagne and wine
    4. Showers.

I'm spoilt as I tend to fly EK log haul and QF domestically in Aus, and have free lounge access. EK's lounge network out of DXB is very good and QF's are probably some of the best there are.

The UA RCC in SFO for example really winds me up. I mean if you are a 1K and waiting for an upgrade they wont give you a wifi code. And if you're lucky you'll get 2 drink coupons. It reeks of pettiness.

17. For an international lounge, it is definitely the shower and secure, fast wireless.
    Alcohol that is quality over quantity (I'm so glad oneworld has first class lounges!).
    Food that is not prepackaged or overly processed and that doesn't sit all day drying out.
    Seating is something that really needs looking at, as often as a lounge fills you find some travellers building walls of luggage around them preventing others from getting a seat. I think the designers should realise that most people who use lounges are going to be travelling alone and so the layout of the lounge should reflect that with room by most seats for carry-on luggage.

I have noticed that Lounges tend to go downhill after the first year or two after opening. It is as though the staff lose interest and the managers give up following things up. I've noticed that the QF First lounges in SYD and MEL are beginning to fade now.

18. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hardly true, IMO. Yes, it is a nice enough lounge, but the food is borderline rubbish. The spa is OK so long as they don't bollocks up the booking like they did mine last time through. There are other, nicer, lounges that I'd prefer to spend my time in.

19. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I expect a clean room with a relatively comfortable seat, wifi, and quiet enough to get some work done.
    At the end of the day I would LIKE to see premium brand liquor, but I can live without it if I must.
    I would LIKE innovative fresh and tasty snacks, but in some cases, that might be asking too much ;)

20. sithlord
    Original Member

sithlord Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess it depends what you want to do in the lounge. Clubhouse is fun and non lounge like. I agree there are grander lounges but the ground experience from front door of the terminal to plane is not too shabby for a j passenger imo. Ba t5 lounges are nice as well as sq,qf,tg,lh' fcl fct.

21. sithlord
    Original Member

sithlord Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree on the food but its better than what your receive on the plane lol.

22. SS255
    Original Member

SS255 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I want what the LH First Class Terminal has. [​IMG]

What do I expect? When traveling domestically: Free wifi, plenty of space, electrical outlets aplenty, showers, decent and healthy snacks, clean (and not tattered) furniture and restrooms, and access to agents to help me with my travel needs.

When traveling internationally: All of the above, plus a decent buffet in the departures lounge.

And I expect an arrivals lounge with a decent buffet when traveling internationally, or returning from an international trip.

But in my "real life" I'm a cheap date! [​IMG]

mht_flyer likes this.
  23. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Comfortable seats, plenty of room and not too crowded.

And wifi for free is a must.

24. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, SS255 - I can't believe I forgot to list it but Clean and uncrowded Bathrooms - definitely a requirement for any lounge!

SS255 likes this.
  25. BondAir007
    Original Member

BondAir007 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I expect in a airline lounge:

Kids: Screaming and running around.
    Food vending machine: Still free but must use your lounge card to get access.
    Agents: A lounge agent to chew gum while helping customers.
    Decor: Leather chairs to have holes and pen marks with bad words, tables to have one leg shorter than the other legs.

Bingo game on Tuesdays to win one free round trip. Where you wonder .... its up to the airline.

And the best thing to have in a airline lounge .... a lounge band.

[​IMG]