Airline Lifetime Status

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Kevin, Feb 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Kevin
    Original Member

Kevin Active Member

Status Points:
    I see a similar thread for Hotels so I thought it would be useful to list the known airline lifetime status qualifications.

Air Canada:

1MM = Lifetime Elite (*G)
    2MM = Lifetime Elite for youself and one nominated partner
    3MM = Lifetime Super Elite for yourself and Elite for the nominated partner

American: http://bit.ly/aadvmillion

Effective 12/1/11
    1 Million BIS(butt in seat) miles (from AA and airline partners) = Lifetime Gold
    2 Million BIS(butt in seat) miles (from AA and airline partners) = Lifetime Platinum

Also, as a limited time offer, one mile for every dollar spent on eligible purchases using the new Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage® World Elite MasterCard® credit card that post to billing statements through December 2012 will count toward Million Miler status*. The Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage® World Elite MasterCard® credit card account must be open and in good standing by December 1, 2011.

Asiana Club: http://us.flyasiana.com/Global/US/en/homepage?fid=CLUB14200

500,000 miles on OZ or Star Alliance = Star Alliance Gold (lifetime)
    1 Million miles on OZ or Star Alliance (or 1000 segments on OZ) = Asiana Club Platinum

Continental:

1 Million EQMs = Lifetime Silver
    2 Million EQMs = Lifetime Gold
    3 Million EQMs = Lifetime Platinum
    4 Million EQMs = Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite

Delta: http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about_skymiles/benefits_at_glance/index.jsp

1 Million EQMs = Lifetime Silver
    2 Million EQMs = Lifetime Gold
    4 Million EQMs = Lifetime Platinum

United: http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6867,52380,00.html

1 Million EQMs = Lifetime Premier Executive
    3 Million EQMs = Lifetime 1K

I will update the list as more posts are added.

Kiwi contributed a great link to his site with more information as well:
    Summary of all the lifetime elite status on the major frequent flyer programs.

Looking forward to Milepoint, thanks!

Skypath, jmrich1432, nomflyer and 5 others like this.
  2. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
  3. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    It will be interesting to see how the differences between the UA and CO programs are harmonized.

oklAAhoma likes this.
  4. maradori
    Original Member

maradori Silver Member

Status Points:
  5. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Small correction: I believe UA doesn't use EQM to determine MM status, but rather BIS (Butt-in-Seat) miles on UA's own metal. In other words, a codeshare operated by LH may give you EQM, but not UA BIS miles and thus doesn't help you towards MM status. Along the same lines, EQM earned by other means (CC, carry-over from previous years via Elite Choice, premium fare bonus, ...) won't count.

gobluetwo likes this.
  8. I like American's approach to lifetime status: miles flown, codeshare miles and miles from their credit card.

wingspan and travelingmore like this.
  9. oklAAhoma
    Original Member

oklAAhoma Silver Member

Status Points:
    As well as bonus miles, compensation miles, hotel/rental car miles, etc. As noted above, RDMs from any source increase the lifetime mileage counter on AA.

10. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just for historic purposes i'm going to mention that NWA use to give a gift and some baggage tags for MM status.

oklAAhoma likes this.
  11. RCyyz
    Original Member

RCyyz Silver Member

Status Points:
    A small clarification on the AC lifetime program - miles must be status miles (so no credit card spending) and must be accumulated on AC metal (*A partners don't count).

dls likes this.
  12. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Delta changed the wording a few years back. It's no longer "lifetime" status, it's "complimentary annual status".
    [​IMG]
    That really disincentives us from pushing for those targets.

13. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I made "Lifetime" Gold a while back. But "Lifetime" Platinum appears to be pretty unattainable unless my travel frequency and distance increases dramatically. Also, this whole "complimentary annual" labeling they introduced has me waiting for them to pull the rug out from under me during my "Lifetime".

Gargoyle likes this.
  14. KIXman
    Original Member

KIXman Gold Member

Status Points:
    ANA's Superflyer Card (SFC) and JAL's JAL Global Club (JGC) get you "lifetime" status with them - for a yearly fee. Basically the premise is you attain at least *A Gold / OW Sapphire with them then become a member of their credit card, which results in your getting the "lifetime" status
    As long as you maintain the credit card you are assured of *A Gold / OW Sapphire status ... until they change the rules or something.

15. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    JGC you don't need a credit card as they have another system for overseas members but SFC you need to have a Japanese credit card so limited to people living and working in Japan.

16. travelingmore
    Original Member

travelingmore Gold Member

Status Points:
  17. travelingmore
    Original Member

travelingmore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Transferring in points from SPG (with the 5000 mile bonus for every 20,000 pts. transferred) and Marriott (air/hotel travel packages) is part of what helped me get to 2MM with AA last year. But obviously, you have to have built up those points through other efforts and be willing to use them this way. Chasing 2MM status did have costs in time, points, and funds, but I made the choice to do so fearing the program might end at some point, and I was pretty close to that goal - now its done!

18. I suppose I am more interested to see how UA-CO MM status works out in operations, as opposed to the written published program.

It took me over 20 years to get MM status. Its difficult for me to imagine how someone with a family could reach 3-4 MM unless they didn't need to work :p

19. SVJ
    Original Member

SVJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    AC program appears to be only in "beta" mode. Many MM's yet to receive any formal recognition even though program started to roll out last summer. Hopefully we will receive full recogniton shortly.

20. eightblack
    Original Member

eightblack Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same here. Took me around 12-years for MM on UA (but I had a few years of very lean UA travel). It seems to me the LTG for CO is completely out of whack compared to UA's program (by 1 million miles) ie 1 million BIS for UA and 2 million for CO. I hope they use some commonsense with the merging of the programs. I'm going to be an old man by the time I've done 2MM on UA!

21. WanderLuster
    Original Member

WanderLuster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. It will take me a LONG time to get 1MM BIS on UA. But 2MM BIS is so far out of reach for me as to not be an influence in how I book my travel.

22. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    For accuracy though, CO 1mm status is lifetime *A Silver for you plus your spouse/partner gets your current status each year. So a CO 1mm who is also Plat would be able to give their spouse/partner Plat status in any year they themselves maintain Plat.

23. There is some chance of AA and DL for me in the next 10 years, but I wouldn't count on it.
    If Virgin was bigger, (more places I fly) I might look at that.

Some will depend on how UA treats me and what they charge for the routing.
    Probably if they were smart, they would be giving MM flyers 20% off vouchers.
    The SWUs have somewhat limited value in some ways to keep me sticky to UA.

As noted, I am keen on how all these things are applied; versus what is written :p
    Even if the rules are tough, but they bend them in ops; I am will like that.

24. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    American Airlines also gives out lifetime AA Exec Platinum for 5 million miles. Just saw the profile and card of someone with that now so it does exist. He's going on 10 million miles soon and wonders what's next ....

25. Premium Wheelchair service, which is something they may need to charge for in the West at some point.