Airline industry faces grim year as gulf carriers take over the world

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, Jun 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    || Airline industry faces grim year as gulf carriers take over the world ||

I for my part would love to see more innovation, more competition and more sensitivity towards the passengers plus the spirit to break new grounds too towards a world in which airlines serve the passengers and not always the other way around. Consolidation sometimes can be good, but mostly means less choice and higher prices, unlike innovation, consolidation will not always deliver the promised land.:confused:

sobore likes this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's no secret that Middle Eastern carriers have taken market share away from the " usual suspects ", but it is also an open secret that innovation has been compromised too, but in the end the prices on most middle eastern carriers are much more competitive and inviting to fly right now, but as always, this depends on the competition, demand and capacity the airline / airlines offers or faces. I have seen some routes in which gulf carriers dominate to see some steep price increases lately. This has nothing to do with consolidation, more with capacity and competition.:confused:

sobore likes this.
  3. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's funny, as a FF'er who mostly flies in Y, when I flew EK last year, while the food and IFE were very good, I was NOT impressed with the 3-4-3 on the 777 or the service. In J I think they are much more competitive, but I'll stick with other carriers in my Y travels.

When I flew home on emergency leave last month, I had the option of EK direct from DXB to LAX, but made it very clear I preferred DL via ATL. I was much happier with 3-3-3 and in my EC bulkhead on the way back to DXB.