Airline industry considers cracking down on unruly passengers

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, Feb 17, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Airline industry considers cracking down on unruly passengers

gregm, WilliamQ, MSYgirl and 2 others like this.
  2. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good maybe they will stop those people cut in line, carry on too much baggage and recline into my lap also :)

uggboy, MSYgirl and LETTERBOY like this.
  3. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    IMO, unruly passengers should be kicked off the plane - without landing. :D

gregm, FetePerfection and MSYgirl like this.
  4. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am NOT defending unruly passengers but I can't help but think the airlines have helped to create the situation in the first place. Squeezing us in like cattle, taking away the small things like meals, charging to check luggage, not enforcing carryon rules, dreadful aging jets and broken equipment, the list goes on. But then again, there are an awful lot of DYKWIA's out there and they seem to be inbreeding. :eek:

Garp74, uggboy, bonnerbl and 2 others like this.
  5. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    None of the things you mention are relevant, IMO. The fact that the airlines are charging for checked bags, not serving meals, etc. in no way justifies acting like a jackass. The airlines are doing these things to save/make money. The alternative is to raise airfare prices, and then people would whine about that, instead of having to pay to check a bag.

This is more a reflection of society today than it is of anything the airlines are doing. Everyone thinks everything should be automatically handed to them. Everyone wants everything for free.

gregm and MSYgirl like this.
  6. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Add to the list those pax who are obviously drunk even before boarding, and who are not stopped by the GA's before getting to the jetway. A little more scrutiny perhaps, before boarding, may save some aggravation and the associated costs and delays of an unscheduled stop along the way or even delaying the takeoff. But that would take an additional GA checking the boarding documents, and with the airlines cutting cost at every turn, probably not feasable. They're in a rush to get everyone boarded for an on time takeoff and don't notice the drunk staggering on board who will later become obstinate when the crew refuses to serve him or her more booze.

uggboy, WilliamQ, LETTERBOY and 2 others like this.
  7. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's not just drinking. It's also general lack of crew respect on the part of the pax. I watch them ignore instructions and frankly, it really bothers me when it could impact my safety. Case in point; just this morning, the guy sitting next to me, bulkhead aisle seat, refused to part with his bag, which he kept at his feet. Sorry, but in the small chance of an emergency, I don't want to be tripping over his bag while making my great escape.

8. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't sweat your Great Escape, as the airline wouldn't let you bring Steve McQueen's motorcycle on board, so that shouldn't be a problem. As to the jerk next to you who refused the FA's instructions to move his bag and put it in the overhead or gate check it, or have the FA put it in the lavatory for takeoffs and landings (happened to me once on the upper deck of a B747, but no problem for me, as I got it back after takeoff), just relax and smash your way over him and his unmoveable bag if you have to do so in case of emergency. No hesitation at all on my part if needed.

uggboy likes this.
  9. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like how the article calls them "flight and cab crews." Since when is a flight deck a locomotive cab? :confused:

uggboy likes this.
  10. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Probably because the author had a limited number of keystrokes left in his report, and figured we might be able ot ascertain the meaning he meant without spelling out in full "deck" or "in" as in cabin. That mistake also brings up the possibility that he meant a lococabdriver but he probably ran out of space for that too.

WilliamQ and uggboy like this.
  11. wannaflyaway

wannaflyaway Member

Status Points:
    That person must have been a real pain from the start. I mean, how long is it to fly from Chicago to Newfoundland?

WilliamQ, LETTERBOY and uggboy like this.
  12. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Let's hope so, we will see how this plays out in the future.

13. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Barring any ground delays or long lineups for takeoff, under three hours if they get the most direct routing, which would just about be their course for the planned nonstop to LHR. Their probable route would have taken them overhead Toronto and Montreal, so I'd guess the problem may have happened after they passed those larger airports.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
    LETTERBOY likes this.