Airline Delay Compensation

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by jgg630, Oct 3, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. jgg630

jgg630 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know that through the DOT, any delays more than 2 hours domestically must be compensated at I believe I read 400% of one way ticket.

My question is this. I was on a United flight that was cancelled after 2 attempts to go and at 2 hours 57 minutes. I am going to apply for compensation due to the way something's were handled but in the meantime United sent an email offering miles or a certificate for less than the DOT required compensation. I believe that if I accept the offer from United, I cannot receive the compensation. Am I correct on this?

Also has anyone applied for this compensation and received it? Is it worth the trouble? This was a flight from EWR to IAH.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is decidedly not true. You are only obligated compensation per the DoT if you are denied boarding on a plane larger than 60 seats due to an oversale AND you arrive at your final destination more than an hour after the original scheduled time. Details on IDB rules here.

For everything else comp is not required and anything you get is essentially goodwill from the airline.

newbluesea likes this.
  3. jgg630

jgg630 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok thanks. I must have misread. Thank you for clarifying.