Airline-branded credit cards

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by hannah., Aug 29, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. hannah.

hannah. Active Member

Status Points:
    This is kind of a newbie question, but I hope someone can help. Do you have to use the airline-branded credit card to purchase your tickets in order to receive the benefits (e.g. priority boarding, waived bag fees), or will simply having an valid airline-branded credit card give the same benefits?

Espan likes this.
  2. othermike27

othermike27 Silver Member

Status Points:
    For the airline cards I'm familiar with (Chase UA MP), you must pay for your ticket with the credit card to receive that card's benefits. Club access might be an exception (...?)

Espan likes this.
  3. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    From my experience with AA and UA you only need the card - despite the stated rules. I go through so many credit cards that I’m never using that card to book travel on that airline and usually receive the same benefits. Note I don’t travel all the time so this could change without me knowing it

Espan likes this.
  4. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    as far as I understand it, you need to make the purchase (even if it's taxes on an award redemption) with the card to get the bag allowance, boarding privileges.

5. hannah.

hannah. Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everybody! I was debating whether to put spending on my CSP card, but it looks like I should use the co-branded card if I want to take advantage of the bag allowance/boarding privilege benefits.

6. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    You should check with the particular airline, because each one may have a different policy.