Airline awards employee $50k for service to Honolulu woman

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by sobore, Jan 11, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/...ployee_50k_for_service_to_Honolulu_woman.html

United Airlines flight attendant Jane Doucette was awarded $50,000 for service she provided to Honolulu resident Jonipher Kwong on a flight to Los Angeles over the summer.

Doucette, based in Houston, won the grand prize cash award as part of $125,000 United awarded to employees in its Outperform Recognition Program. For nominating the grand prize winner, Kwong received a voucher for two round-trip tickets valid for international travel aboard United.

Read More:
    http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/...ployee_50k_for_service_to_Honolulu_woman.html

TRAVELSIG and uggboy like this.
  2. HubletUAFlyer

HubletUAFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would love to hear about the winning "deed"

sobore and Ygor like this.
  3. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I kinda wish the EWR-LIR purser I nominated won. She told us how much food cost on LIR (2 burger2 w/beer, $70 USD). Probably saved the plane a lot of bucks.

Flyer1976 and sobore like this.
  4. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    That picture sure looks like the E concourse at IAH; wonder if UA brought the winners there to collect the prizes.

They were supposed to do quarterly drawings. If she won from the summer, who won the Q4 drawing?

5. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you mean "in" LIR? I live in Costa Rica, and that would buy burgers and beer for two for a week in most places. Those sound like (Cost Rican) Outback Steakhouse prices.

rggale likes this.
  6. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, in the airport itself. Other places were less crazy for sure.

7. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow... I haven't flown in or out of LIB for 3.5 years. It was still open air the last time I was there. (Read: Hot as Hell) Guess they had to pay for the renovation. Still... SJO is far more reasonable less unreasonable.

rggale likes this.
  8. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting note: My flight home to SJO tonight landed me in a seat next to a guy who works for the company who owns the airport and awards all concessions. Very nice (and interesting) guy. I asked him about the burger/beer prices you were quoted at Liberia, and he said that was a bit of an exaggeration, but they are aware that they do have a problem there. He said they are moving toward correcting the issue, and they have contractual means to do so.

We all know that we are going to pay a premium for food in airports. That said, he emphasized the importance of keeping value in the prices so that one purchase doesn't keep people from seeking any other purchases while in said airport. In other words, if you paid $35 per person for a beer and a burger (or even $25), you would be far less likely to look at anything else for sale in that airport. That's bad for all merchants, the local government and the airport concessionaire.

Small world, huh?

9. Billiken
    Original Member

Billiken Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do I recall correctly that the winner is chosen randomly from all entries submitted?
    I thought I remember reading that when the program started.

10. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Offered to hang up the customer jackets.