Airline Award Booking Question

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by TUMD, Jan 18, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    When booking an award flight (specifically AA) can u look up and choose each leg of the flight? For example, I have a flight to HNL and need to find a return to Springfield, IL. If I put in HNL to SPI I get nothing but if I search HNL-LAX there is space, LAX- DFW there is space and DFW-SPI there is space. Can I pick my own routing or do I have to have whatever appears with HNL-SPI? I tried doing a multi-leg route with these 3 and it seems to price them individually.

Newscience likes this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, it's typical for online award search engines not to cope too well with multi-stop flights. You can still look up online the most convenient segments that would make up your trip, then call a phone agent with the specific route you prefer. If it's legal according to the airline terms, they'll book it for you one trip + there'll be a $25 phone charge.

TUMD and Newscience like this.
  3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure exactly what you are doing. I put in HNL/SPI on aa.com for a couple of random dates and it came up with award availability for all the dates selected.
    If you need a specific route then use the multicity selection option ( make sure you pay attention to the stop-over rules)

Newscience likes this.
  4. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did not say that there were never flights from HNL/SPI, just not the dates I wanted although I could look up individual legs. I will mess with it more and call up AA to book if I can't get it online for the route I want.

Thanks for the help guys!

5. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    As newbluesea said, be sure you pay attention to stopover rules. Remember, AA does not offer free stopovers on domestic awards. Something else to consider too, there is such a thing as a maximum connect time.

For domestic---and HI is considered domestic--you have a maximum of 4 hours to connect. Unless it's the first flight out. [i.e. if you were booking a HNL-DFW award and you had more than a 4 hour layover until the DFW-SPI flight left you could still book it, provided it was the first flight out to SPI]

In other words if the HNL-LAX flight arrives LAX at 6AM, you would need to find a flight within 4 hours that connects to DFW. Otherwise you will be charged additional miles.

The same with DFW-SPI. You would then need to find a flight that connects within 4 hours. If you have to overnight at DFW, it will be treated as another separate award.

Yes a phone AAgent will attempt what you desire, but you still may be charged for multiple awards if you exceed the maximum connection time at any given point.

TUMD likes this.
  6. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    I assume this first flight out applies for the next morning too. Is that correct? For instance if I went from HNL to SEA and arrived at 10pm with the first flight leaving for where ever at 6am the next morning (and being the first one to that city).