Airline app design

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Gargoyle, Dec 8, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

The Chicago Tribune has an article on old-line companies embracing e-commerce (Dec. 8, 2013). Interesting stuff on UA. After studying pax using their services, they simplified their app. They moved all key buttons and features to the bottom half of the screen. They wanted to make it work for the traveler "schlepping through a crowded terminal with a roller bag in one hand and a briefcase in the other, looking around and trying to use a mobile phone to locate the departure gate".
    They realized that "thumbs don't stretch all that far".

UA is also trying to coordinate the info they provide pax to that which they provide employees, since currently their consumer flight tracker app can give different data on plane location that that which airport personnel see.

Do you feel the new UA app works better for you? What about the DL, AA or other apps, where do they start to fail? What do they need to make them better?
    Newscience likes this.
  2. gaijin62

gaijin62 Gold Member

I like the United app, when I am able to use it. I live in Japan, so United is of limited usefulness to me. However I must say that the United app is much more usable than the english side of the ANA app and as far as I can tell JAL doesn't offer english at all, but that may be location based so I can not say with 100% certainty.
    Gargoyle likes this.