Airfare pricing in Asia question CMB/MLE

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by dhammer53, Jun 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last time I booked intra-Asia flights, prices remained the same for several months prior to my trip.
    Is this still the case? My son is flying CBM/MLE next winter.

CMB - Columbo
    MLE - Maldives

2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    CMB is the top destination for traffic to/from MLE (at least in terms of frequency of service). There is very regular service, perhaps 6 or 8 round trips per day, between these two ports.

UL (Sri Lankan) flies this several times a day, at least one of which with a widebody at least on certain of the services. EK (Emirates) has a fifth freedom operation on this route most/all days of the week, which has A330 service, IIRC. One other carrier may run this on a fifth freedom basis, too.

Due to the relative capacity of this route, I doubt you'd see signficiant price variability like you might see on a LGW-MLE route. While I wouldn't unduly delay a purchase, I doubt you'll see a large spike from waiting.

Looking at fares for June 22 (a date I picked randomly), EK offers economy at US$130, business (fare code: IOWMV1) at US$190 and first class (fare code: AOWMV1) at US$225. If you've never done it, this might be a fun flight to splurge and fly EK in F.

The lowest economy fare visible is on MJ* (which I had to look up, and is apparently a carrier called Minin Lanka) is US$65. MJ is a Sri Lankan LCC, and operates two A320-family aircraft only.

Is this for your son's honeymoon?

(*MJ was previously used by the defunct Lineas Aereas Privadas Argentinas.)

3. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Round trip fares in coach for March travel are low-mid $300's. I checked. ;)
    The good news is that it's a short non-stop flight.

4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    That makes sense. The figures I was quoting were one way, and without taxes or fees.

I think you were leaving this to the kids to book and pay for...at least point out the j and f fares to them! Perhaps for one of the segments....