Aircraft configuration changes to award ticket, what are my rights?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by tkuebler1, Jul 23, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. tkuebler1

tkuebler1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello,

Originally booked a flight SJC-DFW-EZE in first class (62,500 miles each prior to the AA redemption increase) and just looked at my reservation to see that the plane has been updated and no longer has a first class, new configuration with all business. What are my rights (LOL) in this situation? Should I get the difference in mileage from a business class ticket valued at 50,000 miles? or booked on a routing with a first class?

I haven't called AA yet because I would like to get some insight on this matter, the airlines don't always seem to tell you all your options.

Thanks!

2. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I seem to remember a post from One Mile at a Time saying that an aircraft change constitutes a schedule change.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Involuntary change of cabin should get you a refund of the fare difference or the ability to cancel/refund in whole without fees. A challenge in this case may be that they try to reprice it under the new rates rather than the old ones. But that should be relatively easily overcome.

4. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had a bit of a different situation. I had paid tickets in a 2 class 777. They switched it to a 3 class and stuck us in Biz. After many calls and time on the phone, I ended up having to pay about $400 more to stay in first, which was really a discount on what they originally were trying to get me to pay.

YULtide likes this.
  5. tkuebler1

tkuebler1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Shock and awe! All I can say is shock and awe!
    Called the basic number for American and spoke with Tori and next thing I knew, we were still in first on a route through MIA. Total shock that they did this, we have zero status with AA and after a two minute hold, our anniversary remained a first class experience. We are 1K and 1K/1MM on United and have never had such great customer service, kind of makes me think if we chose the best option. Thanks for all the advice!

Pizzaman, flyforawg and alfagirl like this.
  6. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    More shocking to me is that you would have expected worse as a UA1K.

7. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you were very fortunate to reach an agent who knew how to get around all the system (IT) restrictions that now seem to be in place. UA 1K/AA EXP... I have been both, and I'm currently EXP. The "best" option is the one that works best for your schedule and other less important amenities, IMHO. Each has their unique pros and cons.

That said, I have had major problems on my last several AA flights, and they have yet to satisfactorily resolve any of them. Having requalified for EXP this year (includes a paid trip I'm taking this weekend), the remainder of the year will be spent flying Copa between my home airport of MDE and the USA to prop up next year's status there for next year. Domestic will be on AA or AS using miles for award travel.

As close as they are, I still believe that UA tries harder to satisfy all customers but especially 1Ks. If they flew into MDE, I would probably switch back. Their absence here requires too many connections on *A partners for my frequency of travel.

8. Duben

Duben Silver Member

Status Points:
    I booked a flight BCN-MIA in first class (62.500 miles) and the plane has been changed and new configuration had only business class. I asked AA for 75% compensation of miles (EU No 261/2004 Article 10 - downgrade) and received it without any problems.