Airbus says UA is going to (have to) order the A380

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Wandering Aramean, Dec 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    jbcarioca, mht_flyer, meFIRST and 5 others like this.
  2. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Pilot contract leverage. A rumored order for a big jet at the top of the pay scale "contingent on agreement" could be an effective bargaining tool.

jbcarioca, LETTERBOY and Flyer1976 like this.
  3. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Based on prior experience, we'd certainly hear at least some suggestion that the airline would order the Flying Forehead from the CO...um, United CEO if there were any legs to this story.

Not to mention, United has literally the least need of any USA legacy to order the A380 -- it is steadily moving towards NRT-bypass for non-Japan TPAC flying, and is seeking to expand the number of gateways and frequencies at its means of adding capacity (e.g., adding LAX-PVG instead of adding more seats on SFO/ORD-PVG).

So I'm not buying it, either.

jbcarioca and hulagrrl210 like this.
  4. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    For no other reason than I think it's a beautiful plane, I would love to see UA order some 747-8's to replace the 747-400's, just so an American carrier has 747's flying around for another thirty years.

5. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like big planes, I'll take any new wide body we can get and hope it translates into more NC/R availabilty :D

6. mundosurfer
    Original Member

mundosurfer Gold Member

Status Points:
    They will order the 380 with all Y and bring back TED

fozz, chrislacey, Junca and 17 others like this.
  7. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    and fly it between SFO/LAX/LAS/FAT/BFL/VIS/MCE/SCK eh?

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. 2wheels

2wheels Silver Member

Status Points:
    RAR!!

chrislacey and jbcarioca like this.
  9. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do have to say that the 748 is pretty awesome looking with its upswept wings and it has a sexy nickname, "The Intercontinental."
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately, there aren't too many orders for it. But Boeing did design a beautiful airplane.

10. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is really an nice bird, too bad UA isn't investing in these 747-800s.

jbcarioca, LETTERBOY and hulagrrl210 like this.
  11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    And then there would be a multitude of threads insisting it was ordered to keep the "Continental" name alive. :D :oops:

gobluetwo, rggale, jbcarioca and 5 others like this.
  12. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Many international carriers have found interesting uses for all the extra space available in an A380 for premium amenities. Do we really want an American carrier spoiling this trend? Do you think UA would do anything other than pack the front half with BusinessFirst seats?

13. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I want to ride on an A380, I'll go fly with SQ. I personally would like to see UA go for the 747-8.

14. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Agreed, the 747's are beautiful planes. I have zero interest in the Airbus Whale.

15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bzzzt. Wrong airline-in-an-airline. Clearly it will be called United Lite. And they'll reintroduce peanut fares.

jbcarioca and Wandering Aramean like this.
  16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fortunately airlines don't buy airplanes based on their looks, but rather their specs.

Leaving aside all Boeing vs. Airbus blah-blah-blah (leave it to FT, eh?)... can someone shed some unbiased light on the reasons why the 748 isn't all that successful at this time? How does it -- cost-wise -- compare to the 777s "below" it and the A380 "above" it?

jbcarioca, LETTERBOY and canucklehead like this.
  17. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I must respectfully disagree here. Only Emirates has come close to the sky-high claims of premium amenities that the A380 would offer its riders, and even the bar + shower falls short of the grandiose offerings promised by Airbus. The rest of the A380 operates have wisely chosen to install seats, seats, and more seats, because that's what generates the revenues.

jbcarioca and LETTERBOY like this.
  18. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    1. It was late to market. Boeing dithered on committing to building the 748 because it believed (rather accurately, IMHO) than the VLA market could barely support one much less two aircraft types.

2. The 747-100/200/300/400 was ordered by many carriers not necessarily for its capacity, but for its range. It's worth remembering that until the late 1990s, the 747 had the longest useful range of any commercial aircraft. With other aircraft types available that offer comparable or superior range, but with less capacity, very few airlines need the capacity afforded by any VLA, including the 748.

A major investment in the 748 would likely repeat United's costly mistake of acquiring too many 744s when the airline should have then opted to structure its longhaul fleet around an aircraft type (777-200ER) that afforded the range United needed with the upside of added flexibility afforded by its smaller capacity. United's TPAC operation suffered hugely from the lack of smaller-than-747 widebodies needed to maintain most TPAC flying from LAX and to sustain weaker markets from SFO.

jbcarioca, LETTERBOY and yaychemistry like this.
  19. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    SQ has the "double bed" suites, too, FWIW.

I do agree that the size of the aircraft just doesn't work in nearly every case for a multi-hub operation. Moving vast numbers of people through a single hub is much different than moving that same number through multiple connection points. WN does great with smaller planes because they can route people through so many different connection points on most routings. Scale that up and you see that 77s and 78s do the same thing on the global scale.

Different markets for different companies in different worlds.

20. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, there is a ton of space at GSO, they even have a relatively new runway to handle more traffic ;)

21. ande777emt
    Original Member

ande777emt Gold Member

Status Points:
    KE recently received their 388's and out of all the airlines, they have the fewest amount of seats (404), a bar, 2 lounges, and a duty free store on board. So far, I believe they're the only one, IMHO, who has made an effort at remotely emulating the visions of some airbus designers.

They also were the first to make the upper deck all C with F/R in the nose. It wasn't until they did this and were bragging about it that SQ decided an all-C upper deck was something in their future as well.

Although I doubt TG will step up to the plate, I could forsee QR and EY doing something similar, more or less, to "one up" EK and OZ doing something similar to be competitive with KE.

jbcarioca likes this.
  22. briantoronto
    Original Member

briantoronto Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed. Fly SQ in J in the front cabin and try to find a washroom free...:confused:

jbcarioca likes this.
  23. briantoronto
    Original Member

briantoronto Gold Member

Status Points:
    No way UA could be worse than Air Austral will be with their 2 A380s: 840 seats in an all Y configuration!

jbcarioca, Flyer1976 and Scottrick like this.
  24. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    LH's A380's are all F & C on the upper deck and have been since the first delivery.

jbcarioca likes this.
  25. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    But I was shocked to learn they ended up going with old school 170 degree slip-n-slid C seats on all these brand new birds :eek:
    I really wanted to try out their new A380 until I learned this (I never can afford a international F seat).
    John

jbcarioca likes this.