Air travel in 2050

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by guinnessxyz, May 6, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. lsed likes this.
  2. lsed

lsed Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very interesting!
    But where's the super / hypersonic flights? Me wants some Concorde-esque trips.

Flying in formation. That scares me.

Transparent ceilings - Would be very cool at night, but a killer during the day! I love the cabin to be dark even during the day. What about exposure to cosmic radiation for peeps like us that fly more than crew?

Virtual reality cabins? - Give me a LH 747 Bed and an EK Shower + SQ Service + Swiss Meal Service. By 2050 I'll be in my 60s and certainly wont want to 1) Golf on a plane, nor 2) Work on a plane!

YULtide likes this.
  3. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Flying in formation sounds fine until you realize that it will only work with multiple aircraft on eactly the same route at the same time. Or at least exactly the same trajectory. How often does that happen in real life, and what would it take to make it happen enough to make it worthwhile?

As to gliding to land, it's been tried. Not normally recommended. :eek:

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I make it to 2050 (not impossible), I think transparent ceilings aren't going to be the thing I am interested in. How about the seat pitch they predict we will have shrunk to by then in economy?

Predictions that far out are generally fairly amusing and pointless. What I would like to know is what Airbus or Boeing predict air travel will look like in 10 years from today. I suspect it will not be fundamentally changed. Maybe with the exception of the loyalty programs, which actually enable my travel in reasonable comfort.

TheBeerHunter likes this.
  5. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Look at the lifespan of aircraft. There will definitely still be 777, 787, 737, A350 and potentially A380s and 747-8 (not sure since those tri engine aircraft sure died quickly...not sure how long we still have with 4 engines.

lsed likes this.
  6. StevenGerrard

StevenGerrard Silver Member

Status Points:
    Its not too much interesting it is just time and money waste

7. bez7
    Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ryanair's standing model will be standard.

Or maybe Ghostbusters had it right:
    "Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"