Air traffic computer fault hits flights from England- Dec7 '13

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Gargoyle, Dec 7, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    LONDON (Reuters) - Thousands of travelers were delayed at major airports across England on Saturday because of a technical problem at an air traffic control centre.

Disruption was reported at most airports including Heathrow, Gatwick and Stansted, after what National Air Traffic Services (NATS) said was a computer glitch at its control centre in Swanwick in Hampshire.

Heathrow, Britain's busiest airport, had canceled 60 flights by 0945 GMT, a spokesman said.

Edinburgh, Manchester, Birmingham, Southampton, Luton, London City, Newcastle, Exeter and Bournemouth Stansted also reported delays and were asking passengers to check with their airlines.

Flights from Scotland were less affected.

The problem was fixed after 12 hours. 1,300 flights were severely delayed, 8 percent of the European daily total.

Newscience and MSYgirl like this.
  2. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm glad I'm already here and didn't get caught up in that mess. Sympathies to those that did.

Gargoyle likes this.
  3. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    I suddenly feel pretty silly for being upset when my Point of Sale computer crashed tonight...

Gargoyle and MSYgirl like this.
  4. gaijin62

gaijin62 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Inconvenient to be sure, but reminded me of this old, old Dilbert cartoon. [​IMG]

Gargoyle and MSYgirl like this.