Air Tahiti Nui Award

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by deant, Jun 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I have noticed that on most days, TN only releases 1 business award on flights LAX-PPT. The exception being some Sat. where there are two flights.

Does anyone know if they will release additional award seats after the first seat is taken? I was able to score two business awards going to PPT but I am starting to look at the return. Wondering if I should book one award when the window opens and then hope for an additional award, or try booking HA PPT-HNL-LAX.

Any experience?

TIA.

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    No personal experience, but I've seen recent posts from people noting they have booked two business class awards on TN in a single go, both on MP and on FT. TN award availability in J doesn't seem that amazing, but seems people have been able to book them.

If you see space, I'd grab it and look for the 2nd seat as time goes on. If you let it sit, with the way TN J space seems lately, someone else might nab it, and then you've taken a step back.

3. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    That was my plan but just wanted to see if anyone had first hand experience. I did grab 2 LAX-PPT Business seats on TN1 and now am looking for the return (when the window opens).

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Did you happen to get a tax and fees estimate on that return ticket yet?

5. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    No I did not. What have you heard?

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Rumors that TN has added a fuel surcharge to AA award tickets.

7. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
  8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    JonNYC likes this.
  9. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Confirmed that the current AA system is inaccurate re TN flights LAX - PPT. Had put 2 tickets on hold the other day and the agent mentioned the $200 in fees. Called today to book the hold and asked her what the fees were. She was surprised that it was about $200. I told her I had heard that the AA site was inadvertently including YQ costs and she laughed and said "so you know about YQ charges". She then checked with the rate desk and came back with a minimal fee.

So bottom line, make sure you ask for them to check the fees.

wrxmom likes this.
  10. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    One interesting redemption nuance with using TN. You can only make one direct flight to/from LAX on an award using TN. If you require a connection between LAX and your US destination then AA will price the last leg as a separate award.

For example:

PPT-LAX-ORD 62,500 Business one-way
    PPT-LAX-ORD-CLE 87,500 Business one-way (62,500+25,000)

11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It's not just TN. AA award rules require your over water carrier (in your case TN) to publish a fare between your two points. If they don't, you need two awards.

12. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't doubt you, but that's not how it was explained to me specifically for TN. The AAgent said that a TN award only allows for one direct flight after landing at LAX.

For example, a PPT-LAX-JFK routing would be one award but PPT-LAX-SFO-JFK would be two awards. (one for PPT-LAX-SFO and a second SFO-JFK).

13. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure I'd take what any AAgent tells you as truth. They've been known to say lots of things. ;)

TN awards aren't the most commonly discussed with regards to AA miles, but there's a significant amount of conversations and data circling the web and none of it matches what you were told. The likely cause for the AAgent to tell you about a requirement for two awards is still the published routing by the over-water carrier rule mentioned above. In your example, the SFO-JFK flight would be required if TN didn't publish a fare which allowed a routing from PPT-LAX through SFO as a valid connection point.

I find it odd that such a unique requirement has never surfaced in all the years people have been talking about booking TN awards with AA miles, which is why I suspect the actual limitation is the over-water fare requirement that is commonly discussed for AA award bookings thanks to JonNYC's work on TB. Which isn't to say that this rule doesn't exist. I'm open to the idea, but find it highly suspect that no one mentioned it on FT/MP/TB/etc after all these years.

Also, the MileValue award booking site did a primer on booking TN awards with AA miles since he gets requests for this award on his website often (according to him, I have no idea if it's true), and he says:

To get to Tahiti with AA miles you have to route through Los Angeles...... though you don’t need to route to LAX on a direct flight. (i.e. connecting flights to and from LAX are allowed).

MyTravels likes this.
  14. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I've certainly booked awards with connecting flights to/from LAX at no additional mileage cost.

MyTravels and DestinationDavid like this.
  15. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    I didn't expect main airports (SFO, ORD, DFW, JFK) would be invalid connecting points to some destinations using TN, but I guess it's possible. (I tried a few different routings with a few different agents and the agents always claimed that each connecting flight scenario tried from LAX cause two awards).

I presume you mean flights connecting to/from LAX when using TN overwater? (and using AAdvantage not SkyMiles).

16. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Considering gleff runs a business where he books awards for people using all types of miles, I'm assuming the answer to that question is a resounding yes. :D