Air New Zealand seeks to delay competition from Qantas and American Airlines

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by tom911, Jul 6, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.smh.com.au/business/avia...as-and-american-airlines-20150705-gi4glo.html

Of course, Qantas and AA say Air New Zealand's arguments in this case are invalid. Interesting article and hope the NZ objection doesn't slow anything down.

I have Australia award tickets for May already. Was able to get a Qantas business seat LAX-BNE-SYD which gets me in before noon (actually better for me than arriving at 7 in the morning - I hate early morning international arrivals). Coming home I'm on Hawaiian right now (SYD-HNL-SFO) but start off with a Qantas segment to SYD. Hoping I can change the return portion around once AA loads their award flights or if Qantas adds something. SYD-SFO would be ideal on Qantas.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  2. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    How many tinfoil hats did you have to wear at one time to get an award seat on QF? Is there any tinfoil left anywhere?

uggboy and skyvan like this.
  3. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just kept watching each day they loaded inventory as I had some flexibility on dates. Expert Flyer showed the flights on Qantas, but the problem was AA doesn't get them until 331 days out, so there is some risk they could disappear while waiting for AA to have access. I wanted a trip for 12-14 days and right now I'm at 13 with the return flights on Hawaiian. I'll have access to the Air New Zealand lounge with them at SYD for about 5 hours, a place I haven't set foot in since about 2002, and I don't have a problem sleeping in recliner style seats like they have in business - did that for years on UA back in the 90s when I flew to Australia with them every year and upgraded (way before they implemented the W fare requirement).

I still have a couple dates flagged for Expert Flyer alerts if a Qantas seat opens and once AA and QF publish their new flights I'll add some alerts for those, too. If I can do SYD-SFO on Qantas instead of SYD-HNL-SFO on Hawaiian (must have got the last seat there as there's nothing left), I'd have my perfect return trip. On the way to Australia, I have about 4-5 hours in the One World F lounge at LAX. I do enjoy my lounge time as part of the overall trip.

timfrost and uggboy like this.
  4. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like we'll be able to book the new service before the end of the month:

http://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-san-francisco-american-airlines-lax-flights-soon-on-sale

karung99 and flyforawg like this.
  5. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just changed my flights coming home from Hawaiian via HNL to the nonstop SYD-SFO. Even got a seat on the upper deck. These do not appear on the AA website yet but they are available.

brodyf, SYD and timfrost like this.