Air New Zealand sacks overpaid worker - now it wants its money back

Discussion in 'Air New Zealand | Airpoints' started by sobore, Apr 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.aviationpros.com/news/10...s-overpaid-worker-now-it-wants-its-money-back

Air New Zealand sacked an employee after overpaying him $70,000, which the Employment Court says was the airline's fault.

Although Clint Foa'i of Porirua won a court case against the airline, the company has appealed in a bid to recover more than half the money from him. If it wins, Foa'i will be bankrupt.

"I've been trying to get my life back together but they're just being bullies," he said. "I don't have the money. But if you take any sort of employment action they just fight it, not because they believe they're right, but because they can burn people off."

Foa'i was sacked in 2009 when the airline realised it had been overpaying him for some time, citing a breakdown of trust and confidence.

By that time, Foa'i had worked for Air New Zealand for seven years, starting on $11 an hour as a casual loader and cleaner in 2002.

When a fulltime, weekday-only, administrative job came up in 2007 Foai leapt at it, so he could spend more time with his family.

Read More: http://www.aviationpros.com/news/10...s-overpaid-worker-now-it-wants-its-money-back

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did they fire the HR/payroll people involved in his case, too?

Flyer1976 likes this.
  3. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is ridiculous, an employee shouldn't be punished if he did request from time to time for correct pay rates.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  4. Valentine

Valentine Silver Member

Status Points:
    NZ's employment lawyers must be quite shoddy to not put actual figures in their employment contracts. "Average pay" is ridiculous!

I'm hoping the guy wins, and that the judge passes costs on to NZ too.

5. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

global_happy_traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    The guy exercised due diligence by double checking with his manager, HR and payroll. Those involved at corporate should take responsibility.

I wish some judge can rule AirNZ to compensate further for unfair dismissal.

6. Albert
    Original Member

Albert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, that is ludicrous. I know nothing about NZ law, would be very curious how this case concludes.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  7. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Likewise.