Air Miles

Discussion in 'Other Loyalty Programs' started by DanJ, Feb 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DanJ
    Original Member

DanJ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Air Miles is Canada's largest consumer loyalty program, with access to many airlines, hotels, rental car agencies, and retailers. Not sure if it deserves it's own forum, but at least it needs it's a separate thread away from specific airlines.

2. Flews
    Original Member

Flews Silver Member

Status Points:
    Surprised there aren't more posts here. This has been an excellent program for me. I don't acquire or use the points for travel, and yet I seem to accummulate a lot and get good value when I buy things with them. For me it's sort of a "cash-back" program on spending I do anyway.

Cheers,

3. DanJ
    Original Member

DanJ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm sitting on about 9000 air miles and can't decide what to do with them. I usually feel travel is the best use of miles, but I have such a hard time parting with 1500 miles for a flight to Florida that I can buy from Detroit for under $200 LOL.

4. Use this program regularly but not for travel. Best value seems to be to redeem for Shell gas certificates and also for Metro grocery certificates. Have used it to fly but it does take a long time to accumulate any significant number of miles.

5. DebraI
    Original Member

DebraI Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recently noticed that you they added SPG properties to their hotel deals, and I believe it includes most of the taxes (unlike the airlines). I'd be interested in anybody's take on the value of redeeming for the Starwood hotels...

6. EnJoy

EnJoy Active Member

Status Points:
    It depends on the dates / season - start from 700 airmiles per night

I recently inquire the Sheraton Carlsbad Resort & Spa for 1 night stay in August. Rack rate for the date I was looking for was about $320 (include tax). If redeem Airmiles, it will be 1250 airmiles. It's a deal for someone whose average cost of Airmile is lower than $0.256/mile.

7. DebraI
    Original Member

DebraI Silver Member

Status Points:
    For anyone that shops at Safeway, they are doing their Customer Appreciation Day tomorrow (June 7) like usual... but insteady of 10x miles they are having a 20x miles day.

canucklehead likes this.
  8. EnJoy

EnJoy Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the heads up.

It's also a good idea to check for amazing or extreme airmiles event around your area. I racked up a lot of airmiles from those events.

9. DanJ
    Original Member

DanJ Gold Member

Status Points:
    If anyone is interested in (and doesn't already have) the BMO Gold Mosaik Air Miles card, they have a 1000 bonus mile sign-up promo (after first use). The card costs $99 for the year. You must apply by Aug 31. www.bmo.com/1000

10. Vogatrice Vecchia

Vogatrice Vecchia Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm a heavy AirMiles collector and user - not much choice in Canada where we have AC, WestJet and...AirMiles. However, with a BMO AirMiles credit card, all travel rewards cost 25% less - so I feel I'm getting a fair deal. Award availability has always been very good, better than AC. Does anyone have advice on how to compare cost per mile for AM flight awards vs. AC flight awards? I'm just not sure how to measure where best to put my collection efforts now that I no longer put my bum in airplane seats very often (I had elite status on several airlines back before kids...gave up the traveling work life after that.) I currently carry both CIBC Aeroplan and BMO AirMiles cards and don't really want both. Any comments/suggestions?

11. lf35

lf35 Active Member

Status Points:
    Ditto on this.

12. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just discovered this site, so here's my contribution(s):

1. Effective now, AMs will have a 5-year life and all miles earned through the end of this month will expire at the end of December 2016. Newly earned AMs will be "time stamped" and expire (likely at the end of each month) 5-years from when earned. No precise details are yet known, but this was found on a just-launched subsidiary AM site:

www.airmilescash.com

2. More germain to this new site, as of March 2012 AMs can be converted to $10 (and multiples thereof) credits against purchases at AM participants (list to be posted at a later date). The rate will be 95 AMs for every $10 of credit. Redemption will be immediate. This rate is consistent with gift cards, maybe 10% better ROI.

canucklehead likes this.
  13. TravelMusing

TravelMusing Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess gone are the days of never expiring miles and points...

Looks like there will be another increase in the redemption rate for gift cards coming up... Currently, it costs 175 AMs to redeem for a $20 Metro GC... I guess soon, it will be 190 AMs...:(

14. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess I will redeem my Airmiles sooner than later in light of the change in redemption.

15. TrippePanAM

TrippePanAM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have never heard of this program time to do some research

16. DebraI
    Original Member

DebraI Silver Member

Status Points:
    It looks like all they are doing is giving collectors the option of getting instant rewards at the same 220 +/- sponsors where you can currently earn airmiles. I don't like the system they have set up for splitting miles when we earn them. It appears that you cannot trade between the cash or dream point balances, although it doesn't explicitly say whether you can or not. The cash balance will be great for those people that redeem their points for retail certificates anyway. But for what I use it for, I think the 'dream' points are still the way to go.