Air Malta to join Miles&More

Discussion in 'Miles & More | Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian/Partners' started by maltapoints, Apr 2, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. maltapoints

maltapoints Silver Member

Status Points:
    The deal is apparently just subject to the approval of the new government, although I see absolutely no reason why they would reverse the decision.

This will happen sometime in 2013, possibly as early as June/July.

Full details on the Maltapoints blog, here.

Fredrik and LETTERBOY like this.
  2. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is pretty awesome news!

LETTERBOY likes this.
  3. I rthink they will apply for full *A membership once they are in the M&M tent. That only makes sense as they will be able to attract more cnx pax coming through LH code shares to Malta

LETTERBOY likes this.
  4. Fredrik
    Original Member

Fredrik Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am not sure what value they would bring to *. Is there a lot of connecting traffic through Malta?

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, but that doesn't mean they won't join. There isn't a ot of connecting traffic at LJU, either, for example.

Also, this is stil just an unconfirmed rumor, I beieve.

6. Fredrik
    Original Member

Fredrik Silver Member

Status Points:
    I see your point and if they want to join and meet the required standard(whatever it is), why not?

7. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    It looks like Flypass is still their loyalty program and we're now in June. Any updates?

8. maltapoints

maltapoints Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey Tommy. Apologies for the delayed reply but I've been stuck on various Maltapoints issues.

Flypass is still the loyalty programme, but that's no surprise. This is Malta and nothing bureaucratic moves fast (or indeed at anything other than snail's pace) here.

The fact is, the replacement of Flypass is not a matter of debate, that is definitely going to happen (indeed this is public domain news, see for example: http://www.timesofmalta.com/article...nch-Flypass-customer-loyalty-programme.450853), it's just a matter of when. The slight "if" is "if" it will be replaced by M&M. This was decided and approved by the Air Malta executive and previous administration, but (last I heard) is still subject to final approval from the current government (in office since March).

So I disagree with Wandering Aramean's assessment of this as an "unconfirmed rumour". I have solid confirmation that:

ii) Air Malta is to relaunch Flypass; and

iii) Air Malta had decided upon replacing Flypass with M&M: but the hitch is this remains subject to the approval of the new government.

9. ralfkrippner
    Original Member

ralfkrippner Silver Member

Status Points:
    It would be good news as Malta is one of the sun destinations one could fly to for a daw or a weekend with many of the chain hotels for a points run and if it can be reached by Air Malta with M&M miles it would make it even easier. Also Air Malta has a connection through Sicily when flying from MUC. Thats an area I haven't flown to so far.

maltapoints likes this.