Air Koryo (North Korea's airline) vintage fleet banned from China

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Pat+, Jan 19, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    Save for two modern Tu-204 aircraft, Air Koryo's fleet is comprised of vintage soviet aircraft (IL-62, Tu-134, Tu-154) which have long been banned in the European Union, officially out of concerns regarding safety (although politics probably played a role too.)

These vintage aircraft were primarily operating services between China and Pyongyang (with additional seasonal flights to Malaysia, Russia, and a couple other destinations.)

The Chinese government has just enacted a ban similiar to the EU's, which effectively marks the end of an era. Service to Beijing will continue on the Tu-204s but the opportunities to fly on vintage aircraft have now largely diminished.

The older aircraft will continue to operate within the DPRK, although arranging domestic trips isn't trivial, and I would actually be more concerned about safety now that these planes will fly less. (For all its bad reputation, Air Koryo hasn't had an accident since the 80s and provides very decent service.)

See http://www.nknews.org/2013/01/north-koreas-vintage-airliners-banned-from-chinese-airports/

uggboy likes this.
  2. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know there was an aviation fan trip that Sam Chui posted pictures from over at Airliners.net. He flew on most of the old birds.

3. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, and as surprising as it might sound, this tour runs actually runs multiple times a year: http://www.juchetravelservices.com/The Tours/Special Interest Tours.html

I flew on the Tu-154 myself a couple months ago, but the tour covers the bulk of Air Koryo's fleet including cargo planes.

4. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, that's awesome. Does anyone else want to do this and get a little Milepoint Air Koryo DO going?