Air India B787s 'banned' from Japan

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, Aug 19, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    || Air India B787s 'banned' from Japan ||

Interesting dispute, it's all about B787 modification, I wonder why India hasn't given this info to Japan yet?

MX, jbcarioca, sobore and 1 other person like this.
  2. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sloppy ?

LETTERBOY, jbcarioca and uggboy like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    There could be many possibilities. Sloppiness would be one of them, but seeing that most likely all other operators of the 787 have given Japan the required info about the modifications on their B787's it seems simply inconceivable at least to me. I'm pretty sure that Air India wants to serve the Japanese routes with eagerness and don't want the 787's stand idle.

jbcarioca and sobore like this.
  4. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would think the BOM/DEL-LHR routes are more profitable than NRT routes ? Or, maybe they did not do the modifications they think Japan expects ? Just speculating.

uggboy and jbcarioca like this.
  5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess, we will find out in due time how Air India reacts and when the routes will commence. While BOM/DEL-LHR are indeed very profitable, I presume Air India wants to start to rejuvenate itself on many more routes and with the 787 they can achieve this, but as yet, this opportunity regarding the Japanese routes hangs literally "up in the air" for now. Overall, I'm sure that the airline and Japan will overcome such shortcomings and the Tokyo/Osaka flights will hopefully begin soon.

anileze and jbcarioca like this.
  6. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is no doubt that LHR is more profitable to AI than NRT, but they don't have to choose one. NRT must be profitable enough. I suspect that this is AI's traditional sloppiness and will be fixed in due course.

LETTERBOY, anileze and Gargoyle like this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    How do people here determine the (relative) profitability of routes for a given carrier?

anileze and LETTERBOY like this.
  8. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    "Determine" doesn't quite capture what's going on, "guess" would be a better fit. Anyway, UK has a huge Indian origin population, with guaranteed family visits, including during summer when families with school-going children are captive customers for expensive summer fares. That, in addition to business ties. Japan is not quite there, but has enough traffic for both Indian and Japanese carriers to maintain regular service.

anileze, LETTERBOY and jbcarioca like this.
  9. Parker677

Parker677 Member

Status Points:
    The folks over at Air India are less than motivated so no wonder something like this has happened.

Aktchi, anileze and jbcarioca like this.
  10. thesterlingtraveler

thesterlingtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if they could do a BOM/DEL-ICN then "divert" them all to NRT. LOL :D

Aktchi, anileze and jbcarioca like this.