Air India all set to join Star Alliance

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by sobore, May 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.breakingtravelnews.com/news/article/air-india-all-set-to-join-star-alliance/

Following its successful migration to a single code on 27 February 2011, Air India is all set to join Star Alliance. The company has already complied with the Minimum Joining Requirements (MJR), which were mandatory for joining the Alliance.
    Air India’s entry into Star Alliance, the leading global airline alliance of 27 top carriers, will give its passengers access to a network of 21000 daily flights to 1160 airports in 181 destinations. Air India’s membership to the Star Alliance will also entail its passengers to enjoy enormous benefits, including seamless transfers while traveling across the world, more frequent flyer mileage points, code sharing leading to a wider choice of flights and access to lounge facilities worldwide.

savydog likes this.
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Good to hear. I have an odd fascination with AI, though I've never flown them.

3. TimeZoneCST
    Original Member

TimeZoneCST Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have not personally flown AI but I've heard their aircraft enviornments are deplorable. If that's true, sounds like AI benefits more than SA.

4. sithlord
    Original Member

sithlord Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same could be said for ua and us.

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  5. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great, more pressure on limited reward seats......

6. jetsetter
    Original Member

jetsetter Silver Member

Status Points:
    lol.. I have to agree!

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  7. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    The first post was back in February. It is now almost June. Guess AI wasn't as "set" as they thought?

8. ande777emt
    Original Member

ande777emt Gold Member

Status Points:
    In Feb they said they would be ready to join and finished all criteria. Now they're probably just working out the kinks before they are officially in.

9. excelsior
    Original Member

excelsior Silver Member

Status Points:
    They have an end July deadline to join or no deal... 57 of 78 joining requirements have been met So its touch and go

The hard product on AI to and from europe and the USA and India is much better than any US airline flying the route and certainly superior to LH AF etc. Good seat pitch in Y, the most advanced lie flats in J (Think Emirates) and flatbeds in F good AVOD great amenity kit Massages at the delhi lounge. The soft product is, regrettably, another matter. Cabio crew are excellent but systems are a mess. The airline is also bankrupt and in serious financial difficulties. Think Alitalia 2009.

10. excelsior
    Original Member

excelsior Silver Member

Status Points:

Attached Files:

11. A2A

A2A Silver Member

Status Points:
    A colleague at work just got back from NYC on AI (AI144) to BOM. I was impressed to hear his good stories including limo service being offered in BOM and EWR both! Whoa. he was travelling biz. Now to see what does 9w have in store for me on BOM-BRU-JFK :D

12. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I flew non-stop JFK to Delhi in a coach seat (with my wife) as part of a India package tour in 2009 and the newer planes are just fine. No issues, good food, drink and VOD systems. As always I found the foreign carrier onboard coach service, food and drink far superior to AA international coach.

13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    A few years ago when I spent two weeks working in India, there were almost daily stories in the Indian papers about problems with AI such as mechanical issues that caused flights in FRA (layover point) to be canceled or delayed by 24 hrs. Clearly the editors of the paper weren't all that fond of Air India at the time (there were also lots of mostly positive stories about the upstart private carriers). I have only flown Jet Airways on domestic (Indian) routes, and the inflight experience was fine, but the chaos at the airports was the most memorable part. Over and over again announcements such as "Jet Airways regrets to inform you that flight 9W 854 from Delhi to Bangalore is delayed by 10 minutes." At one of the airports, I noticed airline representatives queue up at what looked like a phone booth. Turns out that's where the microphone was to make those announcements for the entire terminal and they took turns to blast out there good or bad news to the world :)

Most of my Indian coworkers seem to be not very fond of Air India. I think right now I'd be mostly concerned about their financial situation when considering to book a flight on them.

14. PVDtoDEL

PVDtoDEL Active Member

Status Points:
    AI is VERY liberal with award seats. And considering they barely have any elites (local Indians hate them just because they are gov't owned), AI would have been much better for the award seat situation...

15. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was saying that there would be more pressure on the other alliance members because we would have this new flock of flyers from ai going for seats on other carriers.

16. PVDtoDEL

PVDtoDEL Active Member

Status Points:
    That was my point. AI doesn't have any fliers

ACMM likes this.
  17. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I travelled within India it was strongly suggested I fly Kingfisher instead. ;)

[Sent from my milePoint enabled iPhone]

18. planensimple

planensimple Active Member

Status Points:
    AI has nice new planes for their flights from the USA and I've talked to some of the people who have travelled with them and am yet to hear a complaint, the problem is pretty acute in domestic flying in India for them given that erstwhile IA staff still doesn't feel like a part of the new integrated AI.

Still for Indian domestic travel I would prefer 9W over IT anyday.

19. PVDtoDEL

PVDtoDEL Active Member

Status Points:
    for domestic travel, I go by price. There is no notable difference between AI/IT/9W/S2 etc. They are all better than what I'm used to in the US, and I can't earn EQMs on any of them anyway. AI's FFP is horrible though, which is why they don't have any frequent fliers. To credit a flight, you have to send in the boarding pass - they don't have an automated system. But at least with AI you can redeem, compared to 9W. And don't even get me started on IT...

A rumor that I've heard a lot is that IndiGo will enter *A, because AI got rejected and AI is trying to undermine 9W's alliance membership. They are an LCC that is consistently cheap, decent product, helpful during IRROPS, and profitable...

20. planensimple

planensimple Active Member

Status Points:
    I highly doubt that Indigo will enter any alliance, the basic principle of a low cost carrier is to operate from point to point and hence it doesn't make any sense for Indigo to join any alliance unless they drastically change their operating model. I seriously look forward to 9W joining *A as they are really good at what they are doing.

21. PVDtoDEL

PVDtoDEL Active Member

Status Points:
    Indigo isn't a traditional LCC though... It's based largely on the current US Airways model of cutting costs while maintaining a hub-like structure. In fact, their founder was chairman of US for a while, admittedly before it merged with HP...

22. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree. I would look forward to 9W being part of the *A. Especially reading the TR's of their premium cabin.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  23. PVDtoDEL

PVDtoDEL Active Member

Status Points:
    Admission to an alliance is not the simple matter of carriers with the best premium product joining. There are politics involved, and I can basically guarentee that those politics will stop 9W from joining *A for 2-3 years at the minimum.