Air France

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by chukar, Dec 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. I just signed up and have a newbie question on how can I book an award flight on Air France.

I want to go from ATL to DUS. Checking on the Delta site on the dates I want I can not get a flight
    for less than 150,000 total. Then after reading the Delta thread I found out I MIGHT be able to book a
    flight on Air France for the date I want for 100,000 miles.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Chukar

chrislacey and rwoman like this.
  2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi chukar - welcome to mp.

Getting to Europe using DL points can be very easy, or very difficult. Three big factors are a) what class of service you want (j or y), b) are your dates flexible or do you need to travel on specific dates and c) are you going during peak travel times or off-peak?

One thing that is consistent is the delta award booking engine is notoriously problematic; DL agents being uninformed about international partner travel is also a familiar theme here.

What I would do is use air France's website to search for flights...as long as they have low miles awards seats available there, DL should be able to book them for you. Also make sure to include klm flights and look at air europa and Alitalia, which are other ways to get to Europe using delta points.

Once you find the specific flights with availability, then call DL with the exact flight numbers and dates and the agents can usually pull them up without issue....when you are that specific.

If you are ok to go in economy and have a day or two of flex on your travel days, you should be able to get this done with no problem and just one connection each way.

Good luck---let us know how you go.

rwoman and DeltaExpert like this.
  3. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Prepare yourself. These are DL SM you're proposing to use for redemption. You are going to experience frustration. It might just be possible to find a 100k SM ticket but it won't be easy and you will spend a great deal of time and mental energy on this process and you may also be misled by DL agents when you call about a. availability b. award costings and c. legitimate partner airlines.

Meantime, over on CO.COM, as a no-status pleb i.e. without logging in, I find 26 of 31 days in JULY offer SaverPass awards from ATL to DUS in either Y or J. Many choices of time/routing/airlines, all bookable with no hassles, as presented. The other five dates have available SaverPass in Y.

Not for nothing did DL call themselves *best in class*

Mwahaha!

4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did a bit of searching on this ... Looking at a random set of dates - march 12-18, air France has no less than 4 seats open for low miles business class awards each day on the JFK-cdg run. You can add on j seats up to JFK and then onward to dus without much issue.

You could even bake in a stopover in JFK on your award ticket if you'd like!

5. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    it's not as bad as you suggest...you just need to know how to look for them (and neither DL.com nor DL agents are the way to do it).

6. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Chukar,

Welcome to MP - if you sign up for a Flying Blue account, you can search airfrance.us for award availability - I believe "O" is the low tier (classic) J award.

Also, another option when flying revenue tickets is looking for Premium Economy on Air France, which can be a good deal and earns 1.5 MQMs.

Good luck!
    robin

7. redtailshark

Status Points:
    [I know robin means to be helpful...the AF tool is helpful, but only as long as DL agents honor what it uncovers.... but now, I'm waiting for chukar to book the A fare in AF PV and discover to his horror that....]

8. Thanks NYB

1. Is there a FAQ area that will explain the different Classes of seats,Class J or Y,etc ?? I have no idea what they mean.

2. Sorry,forgot to add I will be traveling Business class.

3. I have had no trouble booking award flights with Delta,but then again I might not be taking full advatange of all
    my options. But for ex last year I flew to Dus Bus Class for 100,000 miles.

This year I can find flights with Delta but not the EXACT dates I am looking for.

4. This is a minor issue,but when I flew business class last year to Dus I was a little disappointed in the comfort
    of the seats for sleeping. They use old planes for this route. So I was wondering if the Air France plane might
    be newer and more comfortable
    5. So to get an award flight with Air France all I have to do is check first with the AF website for award seats and then call Delta with the exact info??

9. redtailshark

Status Points:
    A fares are Premium Voyageur fares on AF. This booking class is NOT upgradeable into Affaires (J).

Premium Voyageur W booking class is. Be very careful about this because DL.COM doesn't like to fess up what booking class you are about to purchase.

Even if you buy W, don't expect O upgrade availability to show. I flew SEA to CDG this summer and checked every day for six months about the availability. It never materialized. I didn't care because I didn't pay full W price - actually, 10% of normal W price on one of the misfiled AF PV fares. So no sweat. If I'd paid and hoped to use an SWU I'd be frustrated, as those who take DL seriously often are.

As for availability, yes use the AF tool to ID the TATL segs that have LOW availability. Your issue will be in generating a connecting itin because unless you can ID the LOW domestic segs online, you're going to have to call into SMS and run the gantlet of the agent. Some will falsify or deny what you see. Some will try to help you but not be empowered to override the JeffLogic DLMatic autoprice for awards, which is invariably much higher than you think it's going to be.

Just try it and see for yourself.

DL will combine the segs and additively price them, yielding outrageous SM demands for itins that include a LOW TATL J sector on AF.

Oh, and in case you're fairly new here, I'm not known as one who readily excuses such behavior by DL :)

10. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP. As a rule, you can get AF flight on DL .com pretty easily. If you don't see what you're looking for (because it is not a code share flight for example) you may be able to get it via a DL agent.

11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    A few comments in response to some posts above

AFAIK you cannot use DL miles or a PV award ticket on AF, only coach (voyager) or business (affaires) classes for free tickets using DL miles.

If you get an award or free ticket, it will earn no miles, including not the 150% for premium classes.

It is unrealistic to expect a low BE award ticket on exactly your first choice of dates. You must be flexible.

If you do not like the aircraft DL flies into DUS, consider either AMS connections using KLM or AF connections through CDG. Or fly into a nearby city and take the train.

12. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Welcome to MilePoint, chukar!

13. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll agree you need to have a flexible mindset going in, but I got exactly the dates I wanted for my Australia trip on KE and MH. First choice of flights with minimal hassle. It was kind of bizarre, given all the difficulties people have redeeming SkyPesos.

MSPeconomist likes this.