Air & Cruising in Europe anyone?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by agape2travel, Feb 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. agape2travel
    Original Member

agape2travel Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I enjoy flying in Europe and taking advantage of some of the cruising deals in Europe. Anyone with us? Need info?

2. anng3
    Original Member

anng3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    What's an example? Last year we did a T/A cruise for 15 days to Rome, traveled around and flew back.
    This year we are flying to Spain and spending quite a while in Europe. I was looking at some of the cruises
    as a way to get around.

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are large Mediterranean cruises and some around the Baltic, not to mention the Norwegian mail run up along the fiords in a non-leisure/non-touristic ship. Smaller vessels do river cruises, for example along the Rhine and Danube. Still smaller are the barges and houseboats that ply smaller rivers and canals in England and France, for instance.

4. anng3
    Original Member

anng3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Norwegian mail run sounds interesting. I like the idea of small barges and houseboats. Should google be my friend or do you have some recommendations that are reasonably priced?

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    For Norway, it's just one company (I think their national mail service actually runs this, but I'm not sure) and I think one ship which doesn't have many amenities for passengers. It's a working ship, not a cruise, more like a freighter.

At least some of the canal barges are very elegant. You can do a charter for a group or sign on to something scheduled. They're small and personal. An upscale real travel agent should be able to help on this.

Similarly, a lot of the houseboats are charter and I think you can do it with or without it being staffed and catered for you. I would start with an experienced travel agent that you trust and who has had some experience with these things.