Air craft lavatories

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by sfo1, Sep 8, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why can't passengers close the door when they leave the lavatories? Onk onk, comes to mind.

8MiHi, jbcarioca and mirohacek like this.
  2. Mirror74

Mirror74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    ?? :D

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Those are likely the same ones who can't raise the seat before they urinate. I carry Clorox Disinfecting Wipes with me every time I travel. It isn't a pleasant job to clean the lav before I use it, but it sure reassures me that I'm not sitting on anything gross. I've read that airline lavs are among the worst places for contacting germs.

While we are on the topic, why do some passengers not wipe down the basin after they wash their hands? Some planes have signs requesting this, but it doesn't seem to make much difference.

8MiHi, jbcarioca, sfo1 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Mirror74

Mirror74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hear you... and why FA dont clean toilets during flights more often or not at all... :rolleyes:

jbcarioca and KenInEscazu like this.
  5. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Pleased the FA on UA397 today used air freshener multiple times on the business class lavatory. Extra grateful after one gentleman spent over 20 minutes in there while a queue started to form.

jbcarioca, garyst16, rggale and 2 others like this.
  6. Mirror74

Mirror74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can imagine... ;)

jbcarioca and flyforawg like this.
  7. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I also agree with you regarding the wash basin, I always ensure that it is clean for the next person, I never leave water in it and I make sure that the paper waste is put into the trash can provided, and on a side note, I am not sure why anyone would sit on a toilet in the lav, I have never done so and don't intend to, there are certainly other ways to take of your personal needs. When I open the door to leave, the handle is opened with a hand towel and when I close it from the outside I close it with my knuckle and close it from higher up on the door. I have also noticed that Asian FA's seem to take care of cleaning up the lavs and I do appreciate that.

8MiHi, jbcarioca and KenInEscazu like this.
  8. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Without stating the obvious, there are certain activities which DO require even a male to sit.

And I do the same thing with regard to opening the door latch with a clean towel. I do the same thing in public restrooms that require opening the door by pulling on a handle. What's the use in washing one's hands when so many men don't wash their hands, then open the door with the same hand that... Well... You get the picture. :D

For the same reason, I'm really unhappy about the growing number of paperless restroom wash stations that don't offer an option to dry my hands with paper towels. I love those Dyson dryers, but I can't pull them off the wall to open the door on my way out. I'm glad to see I'm not the only obsessive traveler on this site.

9. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually I think you and I are perhaps thinking the same thing, but not to be offensive, one can squat over it without having the body touch it. Just like in Thailand....

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which has recently been proven to be better for the procedure than actually sitting!

Flyer1976, jbcarioca and sfo1 like this.
  11. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I appreciate the tips. Really. But I think I'll stick with the disinfectant wipes. :eek:

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even using the ass-gasket, I feel weirded out by having to sit in the lavatories.

What I don't get is how people can walk into the lavs with only socks on....or worse, barefoot.

Most of the time, one of the last things I do before boarding an aircraft is to "do my business" in the airport, even if I feel the tank is only half-full.

jbcarioca and sfo1 like this.
  13. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good idea to use the airport lav rather than the aircraft, but I hope you don't "sit down" on those either. As for those that wear socks or go barefoot into the lavs, don't imagine their hygiene is any better whether it is on an aircraft or elsewhere, I would hate to see some of the homes these people live in. I have some slippers that I wear, they are kept in a plastic bag apart from my other items, when I get home they are washed, ready for the next trip.

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I realize there's a certain *ick* factor here at play, but medical research has shown pretty consistently that the risk of catching anything off a toilet seat is really not all that high. In fact, odds are your desk has more germs on it than the average toilet seat. And, when it comes to the things in bathrooms that are dirtiest, it's often the toilet handle and floor, not the toilet seat or the handle on the door.

15. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    And that's before we get to the tray table that may or may not have been used as a changing table for a baby in the recent past. :eek:

Sent from a place using a fruit thing.

16. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but in reality, many germs (yes, I realize, not all) die on surfaces when exposed to the air rather quickly. I do keep my own home very clean, and I wouldn't place bare food I'm going to eat on an airline tray table, and I don't go around touching things in public bathrooms more than I have to. But at some point, science and facts have to trump irrational phobias, and if a restroom appears reasonably clean and I need to go, I don't fret too much over it. If my thighs touch a part of the toilet seat, I'm not freaked out. It's not like I put that part of my body in my mouth. I wash my hands well when I'm done and get on with my day. But I don't feel the need to scrub down a public bathroom or airplane lavatory with disinfecting wipes, or carry such things with me everywhere. There's actually some evidence such things like those wipes and antibacterial hand soap and gels make us all sicker, not healthier anyway. And you know what? I rarely get sick. When I do, there's no way to tell where it came from or how I got it, and figuring that out is pointless anyway. I deal with the cold or whatever and move on.

17. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh I totally agree with you. I don't worry much about any of this stuff.

In my (unfortunate) experience, I'm far more likely to get sick because of mishandled food than I am because I use public toilets and it's not like I'll ever be able to supervise the food prep at every restaurant I ever eat.

BTW, I'm astonished we've gotten this far into a discussion of interesting goings on in airplane lavs without a HeathrowGuy appearance. ;)

Sent from a place using a fruit thing.

sfo1, jbcarioca and ssullivan like this.
  18. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is definitely mostly an "ick" factor to wipe down the seat before placing my bare skin on it. It's also an "ick" factor to take a shower every morning.

Touching things with one's hands, OTOH, may be just an ick factor most of the time, but it can be very serious. I would rather err on the side of caution than come down with some illness. That is particularly true when I'm traveling. Getting sick while on the road has proven to be among some of my worst physical experiences. Not only is it much less comfortable to get sick while traveling, but it gets expensive in a hurry.

I remember one trip where I had a canceled flight the first day, then came down with the flu the next, missed all of my appointments, had to fly with a mask (out of courtesy to other pax) in order to be positioned for my flight home, spent one full day in Albuquerque in an emergency clinic without ever getting to see a doctor, then paying big money in Los Angeles to a doc-in-the-box plus Walgreens, all just to get on a plane and return home. If a little airplane lav caution will avoid one more episode of that over the rest of my lifetime, it will be worth it. :)

sfo1 and jbcarioca like this.
  19. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The worst is when people bring food into the lav. Does one really want to lick their fingers of the icing when they bring a cinnamon roll into the lav with them?

sfo1 and jbcarioca like this.
  20. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gross. I've never seen that before, fortunately.

CO777DAL, Flyer1976 and jbcarioca like this.
  21. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I always clean the tray table with wet towels, as well as the arm rest, entertainment selector device, and seat belt buckle, I know I may be a fanatic when it comes to cleanliness, but that may be why I haven't been sick in years.

KenInEscazu likes this.
  22. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually I saw an article regarding disinfecting wipes/liquids that the first thing one should do is wash well and then use the disinfecting wipes/liquids, according to the article using just the disinfecting material does not completely clean the hands.

23. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Counterpoint. I don't do any of those things and haven't been sick in years.

24. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree with you 100%

25. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    :eek: Gross and disgusting, but then we are discussing the human race.