Air China / Star Alliance Lounges in Hong Kong, Beijing, and Shanghai

Discussion in 'Other Airlines | Asia/Australia' started by hungarianhc, Apr 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. hungarianhc
    Original Member

hungarianhc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi All,

I'm going to be doing a trip to Hong Kong, Beijing, and Shanghai later this week. I'd like to check out the lounges at these airports. Does anyone know which are best to go to (I know there are multiple options). I'll write what I've found below, and hopefully someone can set me straight. I'm a UA 1K (star gold) w/ a red carpet club membership.

Hong Kong: Silver Kris Lounge - this should be available to me as a star alliance gold member, but I'm not clear lf my Air China HKG-PEK flight will depart from an area that is accessible by this lounge. Other options?

Beijing: I know Air China has their own lounges here - I'll definitely go check them out. Do they have multiple? I see that they have Business and First lounges, but they mention that these are accessible by star alliance gold travelers. Are both accessible? What are the policies? Assuming they have multiple lounges there, is there one that people seem to prefer?

Shanghai: I basically have the same question as I did for Beijing. I'm guessing they have at least one. I'll be flying PVG-PEK from here on Air China. Are there other lounge options for a star gold / RCC holder other than the air china lounge?

Thanks!

2. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    In PEK you don't have a choice.

3. OY-JFS
    Original Member

OY-JFS Gold Member

Status Points:
    In PVG, there is a Shanghai Airlines (FM) lounge in Terminal 2, that *A uses. No other options, IIRC.

In HKG, you have the choice of the SQ lounge close to gate 15, and the UA and TG lounges close to gate 40 (upstairs). I recommend the UA lounge for breakfast, and otherwise the TG lounge.

4. SYM
    Original Member

SYM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Correct. The food stations are at the far end of the lounge from the entrance - nothing to write home about. But tucked away just beside the entrance is a hot noodle station, very well hidden, and much nicer
    The signal is so poor that there is effectively no wireless - don't even waste your time trying. There is a bank of about twenty desktops, but for some strange reason they are also wireless, so equally useless.